Saxophone Forum

by altissimo15
(3 posts)
15 years ago

Tenor mpc selection

Hello all, I am mainly an alto player but I am looking for a good tenor mpc for when needed. I do not play too much, but, I would like to get a good mouthpiece - not to much in price- that is free blowing and is not saxophone specific; any suggestions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Tenor mpc selection

The usual suggestion is Otto Link. Try a few so you can pick one that works well, as they are not the most cosistent. Vandoren makes a nice piece, very well made. Also check out Runyon. The bottom line is, it's best for you to try before you buy. Also, since you don't play too much tenor, it's probably best to stay with a fairly modest tip opening.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

15 years ago

My son is a professional sax player like myself. (Google Chris Kelsey) He just started playing tenor again, after playing alto and soprano, and can't stand the feeling of a metal mouthpiece in his mouth. He bought the plastic Runyon with the spoiler and loves it.............Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

15 years ago

man, there are just so many! Hard rubber otto link is a good bet..Meyer makes a nice tenor piece..try a 6 or seven..Runyans are nice..Strathorn is an interesting choice, with an adjustable baffle..I believe that at one time Tom Scott played on one of these..Phil Barone makes a lovely hard rubber piece for tenor..good luck in your search

Reply To Post

2. by altissimo15
      (3 posts)

15 years ago

Thanks all, I really appreciate your input. Does anyone know about the Zagar Mouthpiece?

Reply To Post Yahoo!