Saxophone Forum

by KyraRuby
(2 posts)
5 years ago

Question on grade of 1924 Conn alto sax

I just looked at a 1924 Conn Alto sax. Could anyone look at this info and let me know any ballpark guesses on what the value might be? I know that's hard to do without seeing it, but I am mostly wondering, Is this standard student's instrument or something higher grade, (Chu-Berry/New Wonder?) Front says CG Conn, Elkhart, IN There's a floral or burst pattern on the bell. Whole thing is silver, with inside of bell being brass Marked on it is the following: Dec 8, 1914 (probably trademark date I assume) 119954 C 85109 L Needs to be repadded, but the real question is student model vs. Chu-Berry/New Wonder, I guess. Thank you very much for any information, everyone. Kyra

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Question on grade of 1924 Conn alto sax

hey, pal..that C on the back of the horn means you've got yourself a C Melody..not an alto..they are some what similar in size..and there is a good chance that, no, it's not a Chu Barry, and is probably worth not a whole lot.

Reply To Post

1. by KyraRuby
      (2 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Question on grade of 1924 Conn alto sax

Chalazon, Thanks for the input. I actually wrote this for my sister, hence my confusion on C Melody vs. alto. She'd have probably known the difference; but at least I now know twice as much about saxophones as I did before ;-)

Reply To Post