Saxophone Forum

by RichardHK
(3 posts)
6 years ago

Used Yamaha YTS62 (Series 1) vs New YTS62 (Series 2)

Dear All, Wanting to buy a sax for my boy. He is very talented on piano (UK Diploma) and clarinet, and wants to pick up sax for jazz and modern music. In his US Junior year (boarding school) and indications he will continue with sax through to music college. Been looking for a good quality used sax (to save money!) and found an immaculate Yamaha YTS62, original model, about 4-5 years old but rarely played. Owner claims about 10 hours use before he gave up, and sax been in its case for 3 years. Certainly a good buy at right price, hence query. :) New YTS62-S2 sax here in Hong Kong is US$2,200. Used sax owner wants US$1,600 for his. If sax had been younger I would feel better, but gut feel tells me US$1,200-1,300 is more fair. I know some guys here (read lots of posts) are happy to buy YTS62 original, but any advice on merits of saving US$600 which does not seem that much - despite fact I told myself to buy used to save some cash. :) Appreciate any help. Thanks. Richard Hong Kong

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by RichardHK
    (3 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Used Yamaha YTS62 (Series 1) vs New YTS62 (Series 2)

Update on new YTS62-2 price=US$2,060. So only US$460 difference=more reason for cheaper used sax, plus more value in new sax. ??? Richard Hong Kong

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
    (814 posts)

6 years ago

You are right! I wouldn't pay more than $1200. for the horn. The YTS 62ll is a little better horn than the 62 as far as I'm concerned. My son bought a like new silver plated 62ll on e-bay for $1500. It is a terrific horn and he's very happy.........................................Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

6 years ago

I personally prefer the older 62's, and think that $12000 is a very fair price.

Reply To Post

1. by RichardHK
        (3 posts)

6 years ago

Hi Kelsey and Chalazon. Pleased to hear support for my feelings on a fair price. And good to hear your preference Chalazon, I have read many here like the original. I am Ok with $1,200 and will make my offer after the weekend. Thanks for your time and input guys. Much appreciated. Regards, Richard Hong Kong

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

6 years ago

I really like the 62's..have a great time with a great horn..!

Reply To Post