Saxophone Forum

by sax1990
(1 post)
5 years ago

Some Brief Help about buying a new Sax

Hello all, thanks in advance for any help you can provide me. So here's the deal: Im a college student who played the alto saxophone for about 8 years, however, after about 5 or so, i stopped playing to focus my efforts on school work. Im now trying to get back into it, and its going fairly well, but im getting fed up with my beginner horn, Im looking for something to improve my tone. Currently I play a Selmer AS300, with an upgraded, but decent mouthpiece. Can anyone recommend a few horns which would possess the richer tone that I am searching for. Are the AS400-700 better than my instruments, specifically in the richness of their tones? My interests are in jazz if that helps. Thanks again for any insight you may have for me.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Some Brief Help about buying a new Sax

go for a used super action 80, or a used yas62.

Reply To Post

1. by Alreed66
      (8 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Some Brief Help about buying a new Sax

The AS-400 to 700s aren't going to really bring about much in the way of improvements. They are just replacement models for the 300, after the Selmer USA models were outsourced to Asia and re-named with higher AS numbers. You have many good options out there, depending on how much you want to spend. If you are on a tighter budget, a used Yamaha 52 can usually be found in great shape for about $800,(A great intermediate horn) or you can get into a used Yamaha 62 for anywhere between $1,300 and $1,800 or in the $2,000+ range for a used Selmer Super Action 80. Steve Goodsen has some nice brand new models, at great prices. His Orpheo model has 2 necks, and more features and is an outstanding value and sax. His top of the line Saxgourmet and Steve Goodsen Models have been rated beyond the best.

Reply To Post