Saxophone Forum

by Isabel311
(2 posts)
15 years ago

mouthpiece Set ups

I have a tenor and alto yamaha custom For my Alto I was given a meyer 5 moutpiece I was wondering what ligature and reed to use. For my tenor I have a Lakey 6* 3 I was wondering what ligature and reeds to use.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tylersdad
    (2 posts)

15 years ago

Re: mouthpiece Set ups

Sir, I am lost. I am trying to post a question about a sax I have. Please explain how to post. Thanks

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

15 years ago

go to whatever forum best fits your question (probably general dicussion) and click "start new dicussion" type your question, press post

Reply To Post

2. by Sax253
    (13 posts)

15 years ago

A meyer is a great mouthpiece and is perfect for big band, solo jazz playing and to a certain extent, classical/ensemble playing. A great set up for the meyer is a rovner dark ligature with vandoren blue box, or java reeds. If you have a bit of money floating around then I suggest a Rovner Eddie Daniels ligature which on the website SAX.CO.UK is around 14 pounds/50 dollars. This set up is excellent, allows a great jazzy sound and academic sound for any other playing you may need it for. I have never played a Lakey mouthpiece but I do know that rovner darks make a difference on almost every mouthpiece, even plastic yamahas. In terms of reeds I think that vandoren blue box are great for a more classical sound but can be opened up for jazz if needed. Javas are fantastic reeds, quite bright, resonably free blowing and great for jazz, blues or for just having a good time on the sax. Hope this helped, please post a comment to tell me. Regards Lewis

Reply To Post

1. by Sax253
      (13 posts)

15 years ago

When i said about the eddie daniels lig I meant 40 pounds/50 dollars Sorry for inconvinience Regards Lewis

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

15 years ago

Lewis, you ask a question iin a forum below, I think under Jazz, saying you had this bad metal mouthpiece and a student line horn and you were desperate about your sound. You keep squeeking and were getting a really a bad sound. I suggested you get a Meyer 5. Now I am checking around the other forums and here you are giving advice about Meyer Mouthpieces. Are you for real.....................Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Sax253
          (13 posts)

15 years ago

Thanks for the question Kelsey. I mabe should have made my comments on the metal mouthpiece more specific. I recently bought that yani metal and hated it. I was meaning to enquire about the Meyer metal range as I have not tried these and I would like another Metal soon. I myself frequently play on a Meyer EBONITE and I like this set up, however, as the band are quite loud I would prefer something with a big more volume. I am for real Kelsey and I appreciate the challenge. I would have done the same thing. Regards Lewis

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

15 years ago

You are OK Lewis. Have a good day..........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM