Saxophone Forum

by I8BurntToast
(5 posts)
5 years ago

Buying a new saxophone

Hey everyone, I am looking for some advise on a new saxophone. I am a music education major and currently I play a YAS-62 II. My studies involve both classical and jazz and I have tried a few different saxophones as it is. I have played the Selmer super action 80 series II and III along with the reference 54 humming bird edition. Also I have played Cannonball's big bell series. Now comparing the cannonball's and Selmer's I didn't feel like there was much of a difference between them feel wise, all played very smoothly and everything spoke well. The cannonball's spoke better in the upper register, altissimo, and had a much brighter sound that I liked. Are there any saxophones that I must try out before I make my decision?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxjunkie89
    (393 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Buying a new saxophone

I would give Keilwerth SX90s a shot, too. Of those that you mentioned, I've only actually played a YAS-62, a Reference 54, and a Cannonball Big Bell, and the only one I wasn't that impressed with was the 54. Another good brand to try would be Yanagisawa. I played a 991 a few years ago and liked it. My best advice is to try out all possibilities, and choose what feels the best to you. Also consider price! Good luck in your search!

Reply To Post

1. by I8BurntToast
      (5 posts)

5 years ago

Hey thanks for the advise. I'm planning a trip to NYC to look at some more sax's I'll deff. take those into consideration.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

5 years ago

try everything. pick what you like. throw out what you know, and listen to what each horn sounds like

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

5 years ago

you could always look for a MKVI in nice condition..hey Cube..have you checked out Ronnie Cuber? ...best to all....

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
          (653 posts)

5 years ago

of course ive heard Mr. Cuber. Heard him live at chicago jazz fest with the mingus big band 2 summers ago. Personally, id suggest his Cubism CD, the one that strikes me most is "cheetah" if i remember right, his entire solo is altissimo, and it actually sounds good, unlike most people who mess around up there.

Reply To Post