Saxophone Forum

by SuperAction77
(4 posts)
15 years ago

Looking for new classical mouthpiece

Hey this is my first post on here so i hope i'm doing this right. im 17 and a pretty successful high school player i would say. i plan on going to college and majoring in music performance and hopefully going on to get a masters degree and teach saxophone. but back to the subject, i play on a Selmer SA 80 Ser. 2, with a vandoren optimum ligature, and a selmer C* currently, and im looking for a new classical mouthpiece. im interested in the new selmer soloist mouthpieces. if you could give some views on those as well as some suggestions on mouthpieces to try, that would be great my biggest draw back is my bright tone, i cant seem to get rid of it, so im looking for a very dark mouthpiece to go a long with all my work on darkening my tone.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mi.hayden
    (1 post)

15 years ago

Re: Looking for new classical mouthpiece

Hey, this seems to be the question where the most debate can be found, but I think I have your solution. I am currently a second year Tenor sax major at Montcliar State University and study with the (in)famous Paul Cohen. If you don't know who that is, he's just some big shot. He encourages, almost requires, his students to use the Caravan mouthpiece. At 100 bucks, it's one of the cheapest out there. The chamber is a bit smaller (go with the medium chamber for alto, every other doesn't have that option) but very workable. I switched over from a C* and my tone darkened up real quick. I also use a think mouthpiece cushion to help that out. Slap on a Vandoren blue box 3.5 and you're gold. Rascher's Top Tones book (overtones) will solidify your embouchure and further darken your tone. Hope that helped.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

15 years ago

that's some fine advice.

Reply To Post

1. by wkusax87
        (12 posts)

15 years ago

You could try a vandoren optimum. or try a Russeau