Saxophone Forum

by chalazon
(547 posts)
6 years ago

long tones

I have been utilizing long tones as a part of my daily practice for many years. I use a method I obtained from a flute study years ago, and the exercises in Rascher's Top Tones for Sax. It's getting kind of stale..curious as to some of the methods you gentlemen (and ladies) might be using for tone enhancement..short of steroids

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

6 years ago

Re: long tones

4 hour gig with a Hammond B3. No mic, one break.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

6 years ago

maybe I'll just settle for the steroids...

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (819 posts)

6 years ago

I practice long tones on flute and it really helps me as far as tone and flexability. I have never practiced long tones on the sax. I am happy with my sound and my chops in general on saxophone. Since I play flute, sax, piano and sing, and work on all of them every day, there isn't time to do long tones on sax. If it helps you do it, but it has never helped me. I think it's really overly reccomended and probably just playing with a B3 without a mike is really a better idea.................Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

6 years ago

probably my one regret is that I never learned piano..it's really invaluable..I read an interview with Bud Shank..in it he sais,"I've been playing sax for 60 years, and I still do long tones"..I find them to be very helpful on both flute and sax..and am still in the process of shaping my sound on sax..I don't do them as long as I used to, 'cause I find I get there sooner than before..but they still serve me.. it's an ongoing search for "that sound"..glad you're happy with yours, Kelsey..I suspect you perform on a more frequent basis than I ..I find playing out a lot does ..well, it's really what it's all about. I find good players to be a constant source of inspiration..love to hear you sometime.

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
          (819 posts)

6 years ago

I've never cared for Bud Shank and I would suggest that he do more long tones. Ha! I play several hours everyday if I don't have a lot of gigs. I practice less when I have lots of gigs. Right now with the Bush economy and things are so slow I practice everyday. Long tones on sax for me are a waste of time...........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

6 years ago

gotcha covered..not a problem.

Reply To Post

4. by kelsey
          (819 posts)

6 years ago

Chalazon, what does it take to get your goat? How did you get so nice? Don't get me wrong, I wish I were like you..........Barry
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

5. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

6 years ago

I once had the pleasure to meet Taj Mahal..what a fine man..I asked him how it was he was so kind and level with everyone. He replied "It's easy to be an as*h*le" I study with a teacher..spirit stuff..it's all good..we look for the good in every one..sometimes it's real hard to find..but long ago tI realized that the only person's attitude I can do anything about is mine, so. I quite enjoy our conversations, get a kick out of your comments and know that you are really a fine cat, and have a strong grasp on the significants of the gift you offer..so, that said, and being a brain picker from way back, what do you practice ? Any suggestions? Always willing to learn and eager to improve...yous ..chalazon.

Reply To Post

6. by kelsey
          (819 posts)

6 years ago

On sax I play scales in 12 keys in all modes through the entire range of the tenor. I play diminished and augmented scales, all pentatonic major and minor scales, chromatic scales, diminished chords, augmented chords. 3rds in 12 keys, 4ths in all keys, I do chord extentions, I make up my own excersizes and do those in 12 keys. The above usually takes about an hour and I consider it a warm up. Then I go on to work on what ever project I have for myself going. On flute I do long tones, like overtones, lip sturs for a wind players. You play a low note and then with just your chops you play as many of the overtones that you can get. Then with the flute I go to the classical method books. Right now I'm not doing as much as I should do on the flute. There just isn't time. On piano I do 12 scales two octaves, then go to Hanon's book "The Virtuoso Pianist". After this I work on tunes. Vocally I have a book and 2 CDs called Secrets of Singing. I try to do this at least 4 days a week ....Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

7. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

6 years ago

so..Kelsey..what can I say? To paraphrase MC Hammer, "I can't touch 'dis". I would consider your warm up to be a pretty good college education. ah, yes..I stand amazed. You have my respect and admiration..what little I do know would lead me to believe that such dedication and discipline would produce an artist of an admirably high level..I would enjoy hearing you play. I feel a bit humbled..that's probably good for me..but mostly I find your devotion to be nothing short of inspiring..you certainly keepin' the faith..thanks for the wisdom..I'm already trying out some of your stuff..

Reply To Post

8. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

6 years ago

p.s. I'm still gonna do long tones

Reply To Post

9. by kelsey
          (819 posts)

6 years ago

Most projects I do are commercial. Playing what makes me money. Needless to say I don't get to strech out on these gigs. I don't need to practice for these either. But sometimes I get a call for a Jazz Festival or a concert where I really have to play. This is why I practice. I want to be ready when the call comes. I'm also playing with a rehearsal band every monday night to keep my reading chops together. Everybody needs to bring their own talent as far as they want to. It not about playing better than someone else, It's not a football game. It's not competition. It's be the best that you can be........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

10. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

6 years ago

well said and right on.

Reply To Post