Saxophone Forum

by tyler fields
(8 posts)
15 years ago

can anyone tell me how to growl

can anyone help me? ive been trying and trying but i cant get it and i need to learn before May please help!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by LC
    (25 posts)

14 years ago

Re: can anyone tell me how to growl

IT IS VERY SIMPLE. VBRATE YOUR VOCAL CHORDS WHILE YOU PLAY.

Reply To Post

2. by SuperSax875
    (55 posts)

15 years ago

The basic concept of growling is to hum or sing and play at the same time. It took me quite a lot of practice to get a good growl going, while brother was growling a few minutes after learning the concept. Try starting with one (huming or playing) and then adding the other. Once you get it for the first time, it is quite easy to dupilcate. At least in my experience This web site has a good explanation if mine doesn't help. www.petethomas.co.uk/saxophone-growl.html

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

15 years ago

thanks for the tip..I already know how to growl, but that's a very cool website..got it bookmarked..... thanks..

Reply To Post

1. by mobeil
        (1 post)

15 years ago

I was told from a teacher once that if you hum a fifth above the note then it produces a fairly decent growl. Does anyone know if that is theoretically true, or if there are other intervals that generally work better?

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

I've heard that if you drink a fifth it produces some pretty interesting results....................

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

results that you dont remember

Reply To Post

3. by tyler fields
          (8 posts)

15 years ago

thanks for the info. and i loved the website. but i have another question. does anyboby know Rick Simerly?

Reply To Post

4. by saxophonist_104
          (148 posts)

15 years ago

Here's what you do. Rough house with your dog for a bit and start rgowling really deeply in the back of your throat. Now you have the basic concept of how to growl. Or, if you're very emotional, think of The Lion King when Simba just killed Scar and he truly roars for the first time. Mimic this and blow a lot of air into the sax. Growling CANNOT be done quietly! Try it out on the neck first to see if you've got the hang of it.

Reply To Post

5. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

15 years ago

Tyler, are you just putting us all on by asking the same questions over and over. If your not joking, take the time to read the replys that people make to your questions.........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM