Saxophone Forum

by kelsey
(817 posts)
6 years ago

Meyer Alto Mouthpiece

I have an old Meyer New York USA (not meyers brothers) alto sax mouthpiece. I has 6 Meyer lapped facing M written on it. I play it every day and like it better than all the other mouthpieces I've tried. I'm a little concerned that the price of these old vintage mouthpieces have gone through the roof. Can someone tell me if it's worth alot or what? It's not a big deal as I will never sell it, unless I find something I like better. If it's worth a bunch of money I'll certainly take better care of it.........Kelsey

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Meyer Alto Mouthpiece

Yo, Kelsey..ya got yourself a fine mpc there. A few years ago, I sold a New York Meyer on ebay for $450.00. It seemed to be the going price, some pristine ones selling for $600.00 It's a great piece. I sold mine 'cause I don't play alto much anymore..just to teach, and I have a Phil Barone Meyer knock off that I really dig..so, if ya ever need some extra bucks, there ya go.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (817 posts)

6 years ago

Thanks Chalazon. I have been thinking about trying a Jody DV for alto, I have a Guardala MBll for my tenor and I really like metal mouthpieces. The Jody seemed to be expensive to me but I guess my old Meyer is an expensive mouthpiece as well. I won't part with the Meyer. Maybe I'll just keep two good pieces. I really need another alto mouthpiece as a backup. Drop a Meyer on a hard tile floor and that may be it.............Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

6 years ago

you might check out the Phil Barone pieces. His Meyer knock off is a smokin' piece..at a reasonable price..try his web site..drop a Meyer on a hard tile floor, and that will be it..ooohh nooo..

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

6 years ago

hm, got an old meyer for free from an estate sale. didnt pay much attention to it cause its got gouges in the rails. wonder what it is...

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
          (817 posts)

6 years ago

I bought a tenney meyer mouthpiece from this site and it can't compare with my old meyers. I may just bite the bullet and lay down the $450. bucks to Brass and Reed for the DV. They will let me try it out before I buy............Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM