Saxophone Forum

by cuber
(653 posts)
15 years ago

whered everybody go?

anybody else get the feeling that the old same 3-5 people keep posting here?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

15 years ago

Re: whered everybody go?

funny you should mention that, Cube. I've been wondering the same thing. I have my theories, but they're all pretty silly. "could be every on got bored, or they all got better things to do, I dunno. I live in Boise, Id. there aren't a lot of folks here who want to talk sax. I quite enjoy the forum.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

15 years ago

I used to be on here all the time, but college has occupied me to the degree that I am unable to check here regularly.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

15 years ago

i live near rockford, illinois. if i didnt live near here, i wouldnt have heard of it either. needless to say, not a big sax town

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

15 years ago

I'm near Philadelphia, goin to college for music, so there's a lot of sax business going on here.

Reply To Post

2. by basssaxman88
          (68 posts)

15 years ago

I'm going to college also, but in NJ. Maybe you should stop by Greater Kensinton String Band sometime. They're on Cottman and Edmund streets in northeast Philly. We play from soprano saxophones down to bass saxophones. And we all play good oldies, even though the music may not be hard.

Reply To Post

3. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

15 years ago

Oh no.... Christian?

Reply To Post

4. by basssaxman88
          (68 posts)

15 years ago

Oh no....Lawrence?

Reply To Post

2. by soulkat9
        (11 posts)

15 years ago

Yeah, I thought I'd see a few more people.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

15 years ago

This place used to be hoppin'. I could come on here and stay here discussing things with people for hours. Instead of three day hiatuses of new posts, there were like, three minute hiatuses of new topics. I miss how busy it used to be here.

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
            (300 posts)

15 years ago

These lulls happen on all boards, especially in the wake of ugly feuds. So how about everyone who reads this thread goes and starts another? I'm gonna right now...

Reply To Post

2. by chalazon
            (547 posts)

15 years ago

this is still one of my favorite places on the web..but I agree..things are much quieter than in days past..a few of the old cats I miss..transeydaddy, connsax man, jbt...a few I don't..there developed a certain atmosphere of contentiousness that I feel may have alienated a number of people..I found it challenging..and folks come and go..but I feel I've gotten to know some very cool people on this forum..Kelsey, Cuber, Knorter..the usual suspects, and enjoy their comments and perspectives..and I don't miss the back biting and name calling stuff..are we not gentlemen?..anyway , things come and go..I'll be hangin' out here for some time to come..sail on, brothers..

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
              (547 posts)

15 years ago

oh yeah..dig your stuff, too, Mr. saxjunkie...how are the oboe chops comin' along?

Reply To Post

2. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

15 years ago

Meh, I would consider my oboe chops OK, but not excellent. I mean, I taught myself about a year and a half ago, and only recently have I actually started taking lessons here at college. I'll just leave it at I'm not one of those who has no concept at playing, but I'm not ready for something like majoring in the instrument. I'll stick with sax for now! Thanks for your concern! -Lawrence

Reply To Post

3. by haduran
              (52 posts)

15 years ago

After a series of heated and increasingly personal disputes involving JBT, Mr. Goodson, Saxysymbol, yours truly and a host of others on all sides of the arguments (many simply arguing about arguing) several of the main characters got the heave-ho from the admin folks. The degree of emotional investment and public make-an-ass-of-yourself-itis (I personally got a perfectly nice guy mixed up with a JBT post on this board and wound up with an enemy for life for no good reason at all) caused several others not actually kicked into cyberspace to simply forswear personal internet posting board participation. The noisy ones also took a LOT of expertise with them and the end result has been, as Mr. Talcott sagely observed in another forum, "Novocaine in print."

Reply To Post

4. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

15 years ago

Did that have anything to do with anything?

Reply To Post

5. by chalazon
              (547 posts)

15 years ago

actually, yes, it did..that said, I think I prefer the novacain to the pain..I do miss jbt, but it just really got out of hand..it's not as informative, yes, but it's not as entirely unpleasant either..and again, are we not gentlemen?..still lots of good stuff on the forum, and I'll bet you it grows back again, maybe healthier this time...all the best..

Reply To Post

6. by cuber
              (653 posts)

15 years ago

so they all got banned? wow, thats the first ive heard of this. too bad, because when they werent at each others throats, they were actually intelligent.

Reply To Post

7. by kelsey
              (930 posts)

15 years ago

This is the first I've heard of this. I agree and I like it better without all the jive. Sometimes I write some pretty silly stuff just to get someone's goat. This too is jive. I wonder how close I've come togetting the boot...............Kelsey and Rosie
              Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

8. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

15 years ago

Oh, I get it. Oops. Are we the only 4 regulars now?

Reply To Post

9. by chalazon
              (547 posts)

15 years ago

we could start a barbershop quarter..hey, hang around, it'll grow back..Kelsey, you've never even come close to some of the toxic waste that was being disseminated, or whatever..it's all good..more will come..keep the faith..

Reply To Post

10. by saxjunkie89
              (393 posts)

15 years ago

Maybe there's just trolls on this site, you know? Do any of you three have facebook?

Reply To Post

11. by haduran
              (52 posts)

15 years ago

There was indeed silly stuff- and a lot of kicking dead horses well past the point where Mr. Ed’s equine origin was determinable. On any given serious topic you could count on an allegation by thread ten that whatever position the previous poster had taken was exclusively the result of low moral standards brought about by being raised by a mother who couldn’t remember who the father was because of the heroin she shot up to cover the pain of syphilis. Nothing to do with any “reasonable people can arrive at different conclusions based upon the same data”…… And there was no one figure intended to be damned by that crack. By and large it was nuclear war or nothing- no amicable bickering or BS'ing at the bar debating permitted. I don’t miss that part. I DO miss posts one through nine.

Reply To Post

12. by haduran
              (52 posts)

15 years ago

Re: where did everybody go?

You'd like to think that all could be forgiven and interesting discussion would once again ensue but: www.jbtsaxmusic.net/Goodson%20Forums/John%20Talcott%20Troll%20%20-%20new%20forum.htm or groups.google.com/group/alt.music.saxophone/browse_thread/thread/b61602c8b8573498 say otherwise. Obsessed to the exclusion of rational though sadly enough. He is, not alone. The brave new world of free wide ranging expanses of exchanged knowledge and thought from around the globe brought to your desk at home has turned out to be a bust in some fundamental regards. A loss for all of us in unrealized/ seemingly unrealizable potential.

Reply To Post

13. by cuber
              (653 posts)

15 years ago

yes, all of this crap is really annoying, and it doesnt look like they will stop any time soon wouldnt it be slightly funny (in a really weird way) if JBT and STEVE turned out to be the same person?

Reply To Post

14. by saxxsymbol
              (217 posts)

15 years ago

I once accused JBT of just that. I think he exploded a little bit inside.

Reply To Post

15. by cuber
              (653 posts)

15 years ago

i think i suggested it once before during one of their spats. it wasnt well received.

Reply To Post