Saxophone Forum

by greeneyes
(3 posts)
15 years ago

conn tenor saxophone

Hi Everyone, I am fairly new at this, but I would like to get info. on Conn tenor sax with the serial number patd dec8 1914 1119954 C 57963 L I need to know what year this Sax. was made and if $250.00 is a good price? Thank you

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Tom Pearson
    (5 posts)

15 years ago

Re: conn tenor saxophone

Hi, Your sax was made in 1919, serial # 50,000 was at the start of 1919 and serial #58,000 at the start of 1920. Unfortunately, you Conn sax is NOT a B-flat Tenor but a C-Melody Tenor which plays in the Key of C just like a piano. That is what the letter "C" stands for. L is low pitch which is standard tuning. The C sax sorta faded away by 1930 as home entertainment changed from live music to recorded/radio sounds. Depending upon condition (dents, finish wear, broken or bent parts, etc) $250 is not a bad price but to get it playable will cost you about $450 plus shipping expenses unless you have someone ggod who knows vintage saxes. I used LoKey for my recent C sax overhaul. Fine job, quick service. I assume your sax is silver plated as most were back then. Tom

Reply To Post

1. by greeneyes
      (3 posts)

15 years ago

Re: conn tenor saxophone

Hi Tom, Thank you for the information, and I guess it has to be overhauled as well as finish silver, etc. Vince

Reply To Post