Saxophone Forum

by azuka
(4 posts)
15 years ago

Wooden Saxophones - Odd But True

Not talking about the neck, but the whole sax. Saw this weird listing on ebay yesterday for a wooden sax from some place in Java or somewhere. They aren't too good at writing in English so it's hard to get a good feel for their offering. I did a bit of searching and found a site called saxwood.net. They really do produce a full saxophone line of wooden saxes. As far as I can tell, the saxes are playable and they have a number of youtube style videos up with a few guys playing these things. I have a lot more questions about these things than answers, and the language barrier doesn't help much. But for what it's worth, it is unique and intriguing. If I end up some day with more money than I can reasonably use, maybe I'll buy one of these as a curiosity. I've certainly done plenty of curiosity buying in the past!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Wooden Saxophones - Odd But True

I sometimes feel wooden when I'm playing my saxophone, wouldn't ya know....

Reply To Post

2. by Saraja
    (1 post)

15 years ago

Hi Severasl years ago I walked into a craftshop in Marehau New Zealand and picked up a hollowed out piece of walnut that was called a hand made wooden saxophone.It was made by one of the youg guys who ran the craft shop. (Made by Woody) I had a go on it and the sound was so captivating I was forced to drive back 200 kms to get some money to buy it. It was approx. 400mms long with a tenor reed tied! to the top. It had a sound what you would imagine an ethnic clarinet would sound like.. It has it's drawbacks as it is extremmely difficult play beyond the single octave of "C". I have had cairvoyants say they can see angels standing behind me whan I play it. For all it's limitation it is a real gem. Saraja

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

15 years ago

No matter what you make, there will be someone out there who will buy and cherish it..........Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM