Saxophone Forum

by zoolio
(2 posts)
5 years ago

Spit out the sides of mouthpiece

I have just taken up the saxophone again after a 6 year break. When i play the tenor saxophone, i find that spit will spray out the sides of the mouthpiece when i hit lower notes eg: low D. I was wondering if this is normal. I have tried adjusting my lips, but cant seem to stop the spit. I currenty use a Rico Royal M7 mouthpiece with a 2 vandoren reed. Cheers

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (793 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Spit out the sides of mouthpiece

Just buy a couple of raincoats for the guys on each side of you, keep playing and your chops will get better and the spraying will stop..........Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

5 years ago

he's right, you know.....

Reply To Post

1. by zoolio
        (2 posts)

5 years ago

Thanks heaps guys. I am going to take some professional lessons soon to help refresh my memory. I have forgotten so much. The spit was annoying as it requires me to clean my saxophone so much after playing.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

5 years ago

your mouth thinks it's supposed to eat the mouthpiece..that's why all the saliva...this will go away after awhile..

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
          (793 posts)

5 years ago

I'm back to get that Chinese trade crap out of the picture.............Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by peter090
          (155 posts)

5 years ago

The bottom of the reed could be warped. Do the suction test. If the reed doesn't seal it will make the problem worse.

Reply To Post