Saxophone Forum

by silversax440
(29 posts)
20 years ago

High C tone quality problem

Hi, I play a Yanagisawa A-992, which I purchased a few weeks ago at Chuck Levins' Washington Music Store. Here's my problem: I love the tone quality throughout the horn, however when I play high C (two lines above the staff) the sound quality changes, especially when I play fortissimo. I would describe the sound as a wa-wa affect or kind of like some is moving as I play. Could it be an air leak? or is it something I just need to learn to play around with? I know it is a brand new horn so it will need slight adjustments, is this one of those? and if so what could it be? I do plan on taking it to a woodwind tech near my college when I move in next week, but I am curious to know what the deal is? Thanks, SHAUN

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

20 years ago

Re: High C tone quality problem

Could possibly be that the second octave hole is slightly open. Check it out to see if that's where an adjustment is needed.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

20 years ago

Re: High C tone quality problem

I would be surprised - theres a mechanism that will only bend in, preventing the upper octave mech from opening far enough. It would be a REALLY freak thing if it got bent out, like a watch band catching in it, and you pull extremely hard without untangling, or a snagged shirt, which I think would most likely rip before it bent it. But then it is a yanagisawa, the brass standards might be softer than most other saxes. I am not sure what you mean by wa-wa, but I suspect you mean it has a "wolfy" tone. (not sure if that is how you spell "wolfy" or not.) Thats caused from your auxilary F key being bent in too much, closing the 2 pads slightly. You probably have the problem in both octaves, but dont notice it in the lower.

Reply To Post