Saxophone Forum

by Sax253
(13 posts)
15 years ago

HELP MOUTHPIECE TROUBLE PLEASE HURRY

I have a yanagisawa metal alto mouthpiece that I cant get to work for me. I have tried many reeds but I either have the problem of the mouthpiece sounding way too edgy and throaty sounding, or having many squeaks. I am not sure is these problems are just because of my student model sax but I need help. Should I have got a Meyer?? Any tips or recommended equipment would be greatly appreciated Regards Lewis

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

15 years ago

Re: HELP MOUTHPIECE TROUBLE PLEASE HURRY

Lewis, yes a Meyer will probably work better for you. Metal mouthpieces are brighter in general, if you want a darker sound try the hard rubber Meyer 5m. Reeds (I play on 2M Rico Royal Jazz Selects with an old New York Meyer 6M.)........Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Sax253
    (13 posts)

15 years ago

By this I mean a Meyer Metal.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

15 years ago

I gotta agree with Kelsey...(I usually do)..a Meyer hard rubber would work nicely on your alto. I find metal pieces on alto to be problematical..at best..and advise my students to avoid them. Yanigasawa makes a fine mouth piece..so it's not likely that the piece is defective.....if you simply must play on a metal piece..('cause it's so cool) you might look into the Beechler line..'course, there is the problem of all the different facings..good luck

Reply To Post