Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
20 years ago

Got a question guys

this one is geared toward more of the experienced players, that are out of highschool and have moved foreward in their music career, or u can answer this question if the shoe fits... ...im a junior in highschool, and starting to develop my own unique tone but it still blends fairly well with the rest of the jazz band, im basically trying to figure out a way to step it up a bit not so much so i can get the 1st spot, but just so i can get a solo or two..what impresses teachers?? this teacher is super rough and constantly uses negative reinforcement to get us to do better, he has a fairly well liking to me, but i talk a lot so he doesnt like me too well.. ..i really want a solo in jazz, or possibly in concert band, but u need to show him your ready, i kno i need to have all my basics down, and i do, but what do you do to step it up to that next level?? what impresses a teacher and gets him thinking that hed give this kid a shot at a solo, thanks, mike

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barimachine
    (323 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Got a question guys

geez it cant be that bad i never got to solo but i was like no your giving me a solo or ill *#*&!@ and then *@&@ in the #&@& i was really upset that day but for a teacher like that you just gotta be forceful trust me u dont know what i deal with i have an ex marine teacher (-for language on 8/29/2004 4:53:29 PM.)

Reply To Post

1. by saxgrobie
      (86 posts)

20 years ago

Wow, am I going to a school, or was that totally NOT the answer he was looking for? I feel sorry for you really . . . and mostly glad I don't have your teacher. Anyways, Mike, once again, I can't tell you much, seeing as I'm not one of those super experienced players. Depending on your teacher, it could be how much he likes you. My director likes me alot(I'm no suck up, but I don't want her to hate be either.). You could always be like me, and join the small band class, so you're the only sax player and therefore play a sax solo all the time! (Hey it works.) But its great because you get a real good chance to show off for your teacher how good you really are. Ok, so that probably wasn't the kind of answer you were looking for either . . . Oh well, good luck anyway. Kelsey (-Edited for readability by Saxquest administration on 8/29/2004 4:54:10 PM)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Hexaclon
        (90 posts)

20 years ago

Dude just let him know how mutch interest you have.

Reply To Post AIM