Saxophone Forum

by Spike
(248 posts)
20 years ago

Chris Potter

Chris Potter is the greatest saxophone player alive. Discuss.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barimachine
    (323 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Chris Potter

no man no thats a bad spike and i did have to think about alive but you know. I'd say joe lavano and dave leibman and micheal brecker are better... who else can guess what cd im listening too ... haha

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

20 years ago

Dave Leibman, is very very very good. Michael Brecker? I wouldn't really even compare him to Leibman As far as Chris Potter, I wouldn't say he's best alive, because there is better tone out there, but as far as being orginal, and trying new things, and solo ideas, he IS unbeatable right now.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
        (248 posts)

20 years ago

Geez, i try and get y'all rilled up, and you just sit there like the U.S. senate. I'll try again Michael Brecker's tone makes me want to die. Discuss

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

20 years ago

are u just trying to upset ppl ? i think chris potter is a clarinet player i can tell i cant get passed it (-Edited for readability by Saxquest administration on 8/29/2004 5:14:40 PM)

Reply To Post

2. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

yes, that i am. i'm getting bored with this forum; too few arguments. if that's a joke, then i actually did laugh. if not.... um... wow, no.

Reply To Post

3. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

20 years ago

me edit good read able ty haha thanks saxquest you stepped in to moderate i thank you but yes it was a joke but seriously I'd watch out with something like this im suprised i haven't seen certain people here yet to YELL in here and knock coltrane... if you get what i'm saying you'll get it...

Reply To Post

4. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

yeah, i know what you're saying, but i still remember the good old days when we did yell at eachother. An what's he, then, that says I play the villan? when this advice is free i give, and honest. Probable to thinking, and, indeed the course to win the moor again? wait, what moor? damn you, iago!

Reply To Post

5. by ea1028
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

Just incase anyone deicides to revisit this topic a month later... I would 100% agree that Chris Potter is the greatest saxophone player alive because of his flawless technique, ability to play in any style, fluency on alto, tenor and soprano and his constantly new and spontaneous ideas while improvising. I listened to Potter for months before i started catching some of his licks. It's hard to say that he is "better" than someone like Brecker because of the level both of them are on but you can't listen to someone else for 3 hours and hear fresh ideas. PS, if you have the new tenor summit cd, i think its hard to argue that lovano and liebman are on Brecker's level.

Reply To Post

6. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

I just got Chris's CD with the Jim Rotundi Quintet, and I can't put it down. I bought the CD from Rotundi at one of his gigs, since he plays around my area. Are you saying Leibman is way better or worse? Have you heard Leibman in concert before? He is miles beyond Michael Brecker. I heard him in July, and it was the most amazing thing I've ever heard. He played Africa, by John Coltrane, there were 4 tenors, the 2 best drummers in the country, 2 of the best bassists including Rufus Reid, and a piano. Leibman had a tenor and an indian flute. To bad it wasn't made into a CD...

Reply To Post

7. by ea1028
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

Ha, who's combo were you in?? I enjoyed Potter and Rotondi's tribute to Charlie Parker at Smoke a lot more but thats just preference.

Reply To Post

8. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

You were at that concert in Kentucky? I wasn't in a combo, I did one.

Reply To Post

9. by The_MarkVI
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

lol funny thing is that michael brecker says himself that chris potter is the greatest sax player ever, never heard him my self, on improvasation though, hands down sonny rollins

Reply To Post

10. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

I would definetly disagree. He may have been in his time, but not anymore.

Reply To Post

11. by ea1028
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

Knowing that Brecker said that about Potter makes me feel a whole lot secure with my opinion, ha. Getting the two of them and Eric Alexander on stage would be a 3 tenor set I'd kill for. I think it is also a fair argument with Sonny Rollins, coming from the Brandford Marsalis school of thought, however i think the things that made sonny rollins so great Chris Potter has and just elevated them in every way. I do love Rollin's conception of tone though. Another player to check out if you like Rollins and Potter is Eli Degibri, a tenor sax player from Israel who is phenominal. In what ways do you believe Liebman is "miles ahead" of Brecker??

Reply To Post

12. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

He's got better technique, way more crazy tricks up his sleeve, better rythm diversity, and I like his tone better. Just about everything. A lot of Brecker's music sort of reminds me of Sandborn. That's not necessarily a good thing. It's not like Kenny G. or anything, but Sandborn seems more a commercia player. The difference between him and Kenny G. is that Sandborn understands jazz and knows what he's doing. And that he has some talent ; )

Reply To Post

13. by ea1028
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

better technique and tone???? I'm not sure if technique better than Brecker's exists. As far as his tone, i can only say that people spend 1000+ on a mouthpiece to try and sound like him but I suppose tone is more of a conceptual thing. Just curious, have you heard Kenny G play in other than a smooth jazz setting?

Reply To Post

14. by The_MarkVI
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

Sonny rollins solos show you dont have to fly up the scales to play great solos. listen to all of the recordings of st. thomas and you will never hear any solo that is even close to his

Reply To Post

15. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, I think the whole purpose of Saxophone Collosus was the establish that point, and that's why it's such a famous CD. That's why Sonny Rollins' solos remind me of Miles Davis. I really do think Potter has better technique. With out a doubt, he definetly has better improvisation, you'd be crazy to say he doesn't. The reason I like Chris Potter as well as Kenny Garett, is they're trying new things that haven't been done in jazz. Nope, never heard Kenny G do anything other than smooth jazz, and I certainly do not wish to. HA, I like MarkO's joke on the Kenny G thread.

Reply To Post

16. by ea1028
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

Mark VI, who's your favorite alto player and whats your favorite rollins cd

Reply To Post

17. by The_MarkVI
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

im gonna go with charlie parker (you guys may disagree) and CD is probably tenor madness or tenor titan

Reply To Post

18. by ea1028
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

What do you think of Vincent Herring and Jim Snidero?

Reply To Post

19. by The_MarkVI
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

being only 14 i have never heard of vincent herring and jim snideo is not my first choice hes ok

Reply To Post

20. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

ive never heard kenny g outside of smooth but i know some1 who has my director went to school with him said he sucked then and he failed a remidial theory and ear training class

Reply To Post

21. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

I very much like Viincent Herring's playing. I may soon be meeting him, I hear he's stopping by to do a workshop at the University for the college students in town.

Reply To Post

22. by ea1028
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

Which University? what do you think of him compared to antonio hart or phil woods?

Reply To Post

23. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I live and play in NY, but I also have a home in Indianapolis. Vincent may be coming to ISU soon, which is only an hour's drive south from Indy. I know a few students at ISU, so I'll go down and listen to his workshop or whatever he's doing, and maybe get to talk to him some. Ha, funny you should mention Antonio Hart. The student I know at ISU bought a King Super 20 off Antonio that used to belong to Cannonball. I think I see Antonio and Vincent sort of in the same bracket. Phil Woods is very good, but his style is different, like his swing, wich I believe is better, and his tamber is different.

Reply To Post

24. by jazzax
          (30 posts)

19 years ago

I enjoy Chris Potter's playing and composing for sure, but I personally think it's kind of silly to compare players and decide who's the best. We all have our personal favorites and anything as personal is improvisational expression is going to be a personal value judgment as far as who's "best." Somewhere up there, someone said that to say that Sonny Rollins is a better improviser than Chris Potter suggests ignorance. I disagree. I find that early Sonny Rollins to be some of the most spontaneous, inventive playing I've ever heard....a lot like Bird on tenor. These guys helped invent the language so many rely on (Bird probably more so than Sonny.) Anyway, it doesn't really matter, to each his own. There are a lot of wonderful, inspiring musicians to listen to (many of them no longer living) and that's the good thing. Arguably, contemporary players such as Potter are more eclectic (drawing from many sources) with their music than a lot of the players of the past and that is very inspiring as well.

Reply To Post

25. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry, didn't read your whole post; I fell asleep somewhere in the middle... "I personally think it's kind of silly to compare players and decide who's the best." "Somewhere up there, someone said that to say that Sonny Rollins is a better improviser than Chris Potter suggests ignorance. I disagree." /: ( I'm reminded of John Kerry for some reason... Chris Potter's and Sonny Rollins' styles are so different, it's kind of hard to compare them.

Reply To Post

26. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

I said I disagreed that Sonny Rollins was a better improviser than Potter. I NEVER said that anyone was ignorant for having that opinion. I disagreed because it's not really fair to compare such different style of improvisation.

Reply To Post

27. by ea1028
          (15 posts)

19 years ago

On a lighter note, In your opinion which of the following would be the best solo to for an audition: Charlie Parker- KoKo Cannonball - I Remember You (Tk12) Cannonball- Stars Fell on Alabama Phil Woods- Hallucinations Phil Woods- Airegin

Reply To Post

28. by jazzax
          (30 posts)

19 years ago

All those solos someone asked about are nice. I especially love Cannonball's Stars Fell on Alabama. What an incredible sound and how hip can you get? (-Edited by request of poster. on 10/14/2004 7:33:56 PM.)

Reply To Post

29. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, totally unnecessary and inacurate. Also, I didn't compare their levels of improv, I more compared where they were in their times. In Sonny Rollins's time, you could say he was the king at that time: although I probably wouldn't, and right now you might say Chris Potter is in that position. But right now, with as little CDs Sonny's prducing(though still touring frequently), it's just hard to say that right now he's the best there is. If you asked either one of them right now, both would deny it, so why argue. Anyway, If I were auditioning people, I think I would like to hear Koko more just on personal opinion. Really though, the judge shouldn't take the song selection very heavily into consideration, as apposed to what you do with the song and the chords.

Reply To Post

30. by nutrasweet
          (2 posts)

19 years ago

Ok, you have a point, its kind of a useless argument topic, who is better, who is worse. But why is listening to Chris Potter so enjoyable, and never gets old? Yes because of his tone and technique and "ideas." but its the "ideas" part that is really key. Pick any Chris Potter solo. Listen to how he develops it. HIs solos have the structure of a classical piece, at least to the extent that they have structure. That is what really captivates the ear. Chris starts with a motive, and sticks to it for the length of an entire form or at least a section. Then he expands the motive. His amazing technique and harmonic ear allows him to do this very effectively. In between motives, you will hear melodic transitions reminiscent of a sonata. The best example of this structure I think is the live at Bridland recording with Dave holland quintet.

Reply To Post

2. by stutrane
        (15 posts)

19 years ago

I'm going to say the obvious thing- in jazz, there's no way to say one person is the best anything... However, Potter is one of my favourites. His technique, lines, phrasing, rhythm, mastery of the language and writing are all top notch. He's right up there with the greats. And I disagree with qhoever said about his tone- it's great, especially on tenor. I wouldn't use it but it's original, clear and expressive. And his alto tone is huge as well, check it out before dissing him. For great examples of him, listen to Gratitude, and his work with the Dave Holland Quintet, where he rips it up, in any time signature. And speaking of the new wave of tenor players, Mark Turner anyone? Awesome, or what?????

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

I have heard Mark Turner on a few occasions, and he is very good. If you want to hear a great example of Potter, he has an absolutely beastly version of Giant Steps. I would even as far to say that his solo on it is more intense and crazy that Coltrane's was.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
            (600 posts)

19 years ago

What do you think of Dick Oatts?

Reply To Post

2. by ea1028
            (15 posts)

19 years ago

What recording can that Giant Steps be found on??

Reply To Post

2. by nutrasweet
          (2 posts)

19 years ago

Mark turner has a nice tone, and some different ideas, but thats it. Unfortunately, good music is not all about tone and ideas. If you listen to a mark turner solo, you will hear certain things that attract your attention for a short time. But he has no sense of structure or development.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
            (248 posts)

19 years ago

Dick Oats rocks!! I suppose i'm impressed that y'all turned this into a real conversation, although i had simply intedned to stir things up... a few months ago...

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
              (90 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah man...Dick Oatts... That guy!! Man his vocabulary is awesome!!!

Reply To Post AIM

2. by ea1028
              (15 posts)

19 years ago

Have you heard Dave Pietro? hes a NY alto player that was in Toshiko Akiyoshi's and Maria Schnieder's bands and hes got his own thing too.

Reply To Post

3. by Hexaclon
              (90 posts)

19 years ago

I read about him on his web page but never heard jim.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by ea1028
              (15 posts)

19 years ago

DEFINITELY check him out

Reply To Post

5. by jazzax
              (30 posts)

19 years ago

I appreciate you guys telling us what your favorite Potter recordings are...a lot more I need to check out. I heard him with Dave Douglas a few years ago and it was cool. I"ve always appreciated his playing and his compositional prowess. Very Inspiring! I'd like to hear him on Giant Steps. I'd like to check out Dick Oats. I've heard about him for years, but don't have any recordings....recommendations? Thanks all! PS...I still love early Sonny Rollins too, and Coleman Hawkins, Trane, Dex, David Murray, Lovano, Ben Webster, Charlie Rouse, Ornette on Tenor, Warne Marsh, Getz, Shorter, etc. etc. to name only a few on tenor...It all feeds the soul.

Reply To Post

6. by jazzax
              (30 posts)

19 years ago

Oh, I meant to ask, how's Live at the Village Vanguard by Chris P? .... I also love Joe Henderson, Michael Brecker, Dale Barlow, Jerry Bergonzi, Johnny Griffin, Cohn, Zoot....

Reply To Post

7. by golferguy675
              (600 posts)

19 years ago

That CD will floor you, guarenteed. I used to take lessons with Dick back in the day. I got some college grant money to go to NY, and I took lessons from a lot of the greats, but mostly with him. Oats? He would kill you if he saw it spelled that way. Some guy transcribed his solos and sold it Jamey's site. He spelled it Oats. I'm not sure he knows...

Reply To Post

8. by Hexaclon
              (90 posts)

19 years ago

Off the toppic but, has anyone has heard Robben Ford? That guy rock, Ive been hearing him for the last few days. I love his style!!

Reply To Post AIM

9. by ea1028
              (15 posts)

19 years ago

I just bought a cd called luggage by an Italian alto player named Rosario Giuliani. It is phenomenal. To me he sounds like a better version of Kenny Garrett but other's note his strong cannonball/mclean influence. If you appreciate technique, get this without a question, the opening track will floor you. He is not just technique however he is actually a very mature and skilled player. Has anyone else heard of him? Go to amazon and check out some clips and im sure youll want to buy it.

Reply To Post

10. by jaljll77
              (1 post)

19 years ago

For the record..the C Potter Giant Steps version that this thread could be referring to is from an album from the Live at Maybeck Duo series on Concord called Kenny Werner/Chris Potter. The whole CD is great, but Giant Steps is absolutely wicked. Werner is a phenominal pianist in his own right. He wrote a book called " Effortless Mastery " that discusses psyhcological/philosophical aspects to overcoming barriers in your practicing/playing/progressing.

Reply To Post