Saxophone Forum

by RagingBull
(4 posts)
15 years ago

Best Sax?

Hello All, I am new to Saxquest, but what a great site. I came to a few weeks back to find opinions on a good jazz mpc, and after reading many, many threads, and looking at Myers, OttoLink, etc., I settled on the JodyJazz ESP 5. What a fantastic mpc!!! And the service is outstanding!!! Thanks to those who wrote about them (connmusicman for example). OK, now I am looking for a new alto sax. I am told that the Selmer Series III is the best on the market. This will be my performance horn, and I will use it for all types of music and performances. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by RagingBull
    (4 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Best Sax?

I meant connsaxman! sorry!

Reply To Post

1. by basssaxman88
      (68 posts)

15 years ago

The Selmer AS-300 would most likely be cheaper, but the decision is yours.

Reply To Post

1. by RagingBull
        (4 posts)

15 years ago

Okay, thanks! How do they compare on quality? I am not looking to spend a fortune, but not looking to go too cheap either? I guess I mean to say, I am willing to spend $$ for the quality.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

the series III is better... IF you want a selmer.... (personal prejudice) but as im sure youve heard/read, try a bunch of different things, like selmers, keilworths, yamahas, yanigasawas, ect its good that you found our mindless babble helpful.

Reply To Post

2. by basssaxman88
          (68 posts)

15 years ago

Ask around in the music store if you could try out the saxophone. It all depends on the horn in the end. "Why buy a car without a test run?"

Reply To Post

3. by RagingBull
          (4 posts)

15 years ago

Yeah, thats what I will do, but I was hoping to do some homework and narrow it down, and also see what others prefer. It's too big of a decision to make a mistake. Thanks for you thoughts folks!

Reply To Post

4. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

I'm not entirely convinced that the Selmer III is the best on the market. I've noticed some inconsistencies is quality in the Selmer horns over the last ten years, and am not real sure that a Selmer would be my first choice at this point. Yanagasawa makes a very high quality horn at this time..Yamaha is always worth looking into..The Buffet horns can be very nice, if you're looking for the dark sound, and can find some one who carries them..all in all, it's the particular horn that lights you up..I find the Selmers from the eighties and nineties to be more to my liking..try as many horns as you can..forget about the brand names, and trust your ear..you can tell what you're hearing. Good luck in your search. Oh yeah, check out the Yamaha '62's from the eighties and nineties...smokin'!

Reply To Post