Saxophone Forum

by Frisbeedude2391
(3 posts)
5 years ago

Looking For Advice on Buying A Tenor

Hey, So im a freshmen In college, and I recently decided to pick up tenor after 8 years of playing on clarinet. Im currently using the schools YTS-52. I dont really like it very much, but that can probably be attributed to the fact that it is a school horn. I was wondering If any of you guys could advise me on what saxophones to buy so I can take it to college/life. My budget ceiling is around 1500 dollars which is not much but there are some diamonds in the rough. thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by moonraker72
    (2 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Looking For Advice on Buying A Tenor

Best Buy is a Jupiter Artist Series, JTS 889. (NOT the normal Jupiter, Some are OK others not so good) The Artist Series is Excelent for the money ( I have all 4 Artist series Sax's) It as SO close to being as good as a Keilwerth SX90 R., IMO the SX90R pro horn is not really worth the 3X price difference. Stay away from the Under 1000$ horns.. Can't keep them adjusted as the Keywork is not made w/ the precision of the Jupiter. ( I have 4 Tenors, Conn, Keilwerth, Beuscher, and the Jupiter.)

Reply To Post

1. by basssaxman88
      (68 posts)

5 years ago

You could get lucky on Ebay, I did buying a Mark VI tenor saxophone (silver plated from 1958, 5 -digit). Around $1,420.0 I think I paid. There's always a bunch of deals no matter where you look. Don't worry about buying it too quickly, there's plenty "of fishes in the sea" And as for a Tenor saxophone, I'd suggest a nice old selmer, BA or SBA, and the Bundy Series II isn't bad either

Reply To Post

2. by Frisbeedude2391
    (3 posts)

5 years ago

thanks dudes! As far as i have heard, jupiter horns are not so great, but thats what ive heard about the brass. The saxes may be different!

Reply To Post

1. by Frisbeedude2391
      (3 posts)

5 years ago

Just saw a vid of the 889 its rly nice. me likey. thanks a lot

Reply To Post