Saxophone Forum

by Frisbeedude2391
(3 posts)
15 years ago

Looking For Advice on Buying A Tenor

Hey, So im a freshmen In college, and I recently decided to pick up tenor after 8 years of playing on clarinet. Im currently using the schools YTS-52. I dont really like it very much, but that can probably be attributed to the fact that it is a school horn. I was wondering If any of you guys could advise me on what saxophones to buy so I can take it to college/life. My budget ceiling is around 1500 dollars which is not much but there are some diamonds in the rough. thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by moonraker72
    (2 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Looking For Advice on Buying A Tenor

Best Buy is a Jupiter Artist Series, JTS 889. (NOT the normal Jupiter, Some are OK others not so good) The Artist Series is Excelent for the money ( I have all 4 Artist series Sax's) It as SO close to being as good as a Keilwerth SX90 R., IMO the SX90R pro horn is not really worth the 3X price difference. Stay away from the Under 1000$ horns.. Can't keep them adjusted as the Keywork is not made w/ the precision of the Jupiter. ( I have 4 Tenors, Conn, Keilwerth, Beuscher, and the Jupiter.)

Reply To Post

1. by basssaxman88
      (68 posts)

15 years ago

You could get lucky on Ebay, I did buying a Mark VI tenor saxophone (silver plated from 1958, 5 -digit). Around $1,420.0 I think I paid. There's always a bunch of deals no matter where you look. Don't worry about buying it too quickly, there's plenty "of fishes in the sea" And as for a Tenor saxophone, I'd suggest a nice old selmer, BA or SBA, and the Bundy Series II isn't bad either

Reply To Post

2. by Frisbeedude2391
    (3 posts)

15 years ago

thanks dudes! As far as i have heard, jupiter horns are not so great, but thats what ive heard about the brass. The saxes may be different!

Reply To Post

1. by Frisbeedude2391
      (3 posts)

15 years ago

Just saw a vid of the 889 its rly nice. me likey. thanks a lot

Reply To Post