Saxophone Forum

by auntymanda
(2 posts)
15 years ago

Db 7b 5

Hi everyone - I am new to this forum and very pleased to have found ya'all. I am working on ONE NOTE SAMBA and don't know which scale/notes this Db 7b 5 is? Why the 5?? Does it mean it is a flattened 5? Thanks in anticipation of your help Auntymanda

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by wvujazzman
    (48 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Db 7b 5

yes, Db 7 b5 does mean to flatten the 5th. The chord is spelled Db F Abb Cb. Enharmonically, it's Db, F, G, B. But the first spelling is the correct one for the chord symbol. Eric

Reply To Post

1. by newreedsyndrome
      (343 posts)

15 years ago

Lydian dominant. Its a mixolydian scale with a raised 11. so the scale would be Db Eb F G Ab Bb B Db. But really, the Db chromatic scale would work just fine

Reply To Post

1. by DavidFreeman
        (11 posts)

15 years ago

I don't think a chromatic scale would sound very good.

Reply To Post

1. by bobcool7
          (2 posts)

15 years ago

I think if you played the chromatic scale fast enough, it wouldn't really sound that bad... Really fast.

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

15 years ago

Really fast is what a lot of people do when they can't hear the changes. The first writers solution was the correct answer to the original question. There are lots of other things you can do over a Db7b5. If the guy who asked the original question can't spell a Db7b5 chord, lets just tell him what he ask and keep it simple.........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM