Saxophone Forum

by saxall60
(29 posts)
15 years ago

Filled or unfilled

What difference did you observe between the Rico jazz seclect filled and unfilled ? (those who used them !).

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by RyanCannonball
    (45 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Filled or unfilled

Salut Saxall, Je trouve les anches Rico Jazz Select Filed plus brillantes et plus facile ? g?rer, mais qu’elles ne durent pas assez longtemps que les RJS Unfiled. As-tu essay? le nouveau Java boite rouge ? J’en avais re?u une en ?chantillon, puis je la jouais pendant un mois entier (au moins 3 ? 4 heures par jour, 5 ? 6 jours par semaine), et c’?tait parfaitement merveilleux comme anche. Toute come le RJS Filed, mais 4 fois la dur?e, et le son un plus gros et riche. Vu que la ? boite rouge ? est toujours nouvelle et alors dure ? trouver, je suis content avec mes RJS Filed, sauf qu’elles me font d?penser trop de sous ! [English translation: I like the RJS Filed better because they play right out of the box, but they don’t last as long for me as the Unfiled]

Reply To Post

1. by saxall60
      (29 posts)

15 years ago

I've been really surprised to found an answer in French and a very good one ! Merci ! I hope to find the Java red and try them, if not I'll try the RJS filled that I don't know. Keep blowin'.

Reply To Post

2. by saxall60
      (29 posts)

15 years ago

I've been really surprised to found an answer in French and a very good one ! Merci ! I hope to find the Java red and try them, if not I'll try the RJS filled that I don't know. Keep blowin'.

Reply To Post

3. by saxall60
      (29 posts)

15 years ago

I just start to try the Java red to day. Muffled it seems with Ott Link, more than the Rico. Awaiting some days...

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

15 years ago

Saxall60, get your horn checked by a competent sax repair shop.............Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxall60
          (29 posts)

15 years ago

Sure kelsey I shall do it after holidays, to be quiet. There are good handicraftsmen in Paris, but I'm not sure they've heard to talk 'bout professionnal set up as Saxquest do... or they repair vintage saxes and work for top professionnals, so very expensive but Saxquest seems expensive too... It's a choice ! Good holidays.

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

15 years ago

The filled Rico jazz select work better for me. Some don't like the Rico but I have always used them and like them better than all the reeds I've tried. I've been playing saxophone for 50 years so hey, what do I know...............Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxall60
          (29 posts)

15 years ago

Thanks Kelsey. Very sympathetic. But how is the sound : high or low ?

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
            (930 posts)

15 years ago

What you call high and low, is that the same as bright or dark? Anyway, it all depends on the mouthpiece and horn that I'm playing..........Kelsey
            Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxall60
              (29 posts)

15 years ago

Bright or dark this is what I mean. I'm playing a Selmer SA 80 II with an Otto Link HR and I prefer the dark sound but with a good definition. If it's possible... As it is at the time, it seems muffled or closed. I guess I must blow very hard to obtain something just enough bright. Difficult to make understand all that ! Thanks for your patience.

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
              (930 posts)

15 years ago

I play on an old Meyers 6* on alto and my sound is dark but with definition. And it's very loud. It could be something simple like your horn could be leaking. Otto Link HRs are good mouthlpieces but It might be wrong for you. We all have different physical characteristics. What works for you may or may not work for me. If I were you I'd have my horn checked by a good sax tech. After that I'd try out a lot of differest mouthpieces....Kelsey
              Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by saxall60
              (29 posts)

15 years ago

Or maybe this is only in my head... Thanks for all Kelsey. I heard you on your site, good sound and good professionnalism !

Reply To Post

4. by cuber
              (653 posts)

15 years ago

i tried otto links on my martin. Ive got a Hr 6* (i think, anyway) and a super tone master... 7* (i think) and it sounded muffled. tried different reeds. still muffled. then, i tried an old meyer that my dad picked up at an estate sale for 5-10 bucks. and it aint muffled, and i like it. Meyers are brighter than links, but you can darken them with reeds/ligature. try a meyer. if you can find an old one, theyre better

Reply To Post

5. by saxall60
              (29 posts)

15 years ago

Thanks Cuber. That's sure, we must realise the perfect marriage between reed an mpc !

Reply To Post

6. by kelsey
              (930 posts)

15 years ago

The old Meyers are great, but they are way to much money, unless you get lucky like Cuber, or like me, I've owned one for years. The newer Meyers aren't that hot. I bought a Meyers 6* from saxquest that had been picked out by hand and had been worked on. It's OK but not as good as the old meyers.
              Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

7. by jazz0saxophone
              (2 posts)

15 years ago

Ya i know what you mean. I've tried out a few of the newer meyers and they aren't what they used to be. I mostly play on a Metal Vandoren T75 (Tenor), but otto links are a pretty good choice. Just make sure you play a lot of them before you buy one. Otto Links are very tempermental and can either sound amazing or not so good. It all just comes down to being careful when picking out a mouthpiece and be sure to always play on it.

Reply To Post

8. by saxall60
              (29 posts)

15 years ago

I just get my first Otto Link HR one year ago and I'm not so experienced as you are to tell what I think about, but it seems good opposite the 3 Selmer C80 I've had and easy to play. I'm gonna stay there for a long, just changing reeds time to time. Thanks again.

Reply To Post