Saxophone Forum

by rwillia85
(4 posts)
15 years ago

Help me choose the best Chcago Blues sax!

Hi, I am planning to buy a tenor saxophone soon, but it seems the more I read about them, the more confused I become. So, I need advice on choosing the right saxophone for my circumstances and goals. First, my budget will be in the $2,200 to $3,000 range. Though I've never played sax before, I don't want to start with a "student" model and have to move up in a couple of years. I'd like this to be the only sax I ever buy ('m already 54 yrs old - late bloomer!) I want to play Chicago blues and blues/rock music, maybe try a little blues-jazz (more on the bluesey side than jazz) sometime down the road, so I want a beefy, rich sound. As an example of the sound I'm looking for, check out Noble Watts' "Slow Draggin' " and "Nobility" on his album "Return of the Thin Man". I'm thinking maybe a vintage sax would suit my goals, better, but which one? Or should I go for a new YTS-475? Thanks for any advice! Rhonda

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by rwillia85
    (4 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Help me choose the best Chcago Blues sax!

P.S. How about a Mauriat 76? would that be a good one?

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

15 years ago

The Mauriat 76 or a Yamaha 62ll either one would be in your price range and are both fine horns. I play a vintage horn and really love it but they do require a lot of care. I wouldn't buy a vintage horn without something as a back up. I have used the Yamaha 62 as a backup and really loved it when my Mark Vls was ill........Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

15 years ago

hm... i would suggest a King super 20, but the good ones are out of that range. and i dont really think i could suggest a vintage sax to a beginner. they are... quirky. ive got a 475 alto. i guess it could be a chicago blues horn, but i dont really hear it in the sax. of course i take it in more of a big band type direction. hm... heard killer chicago blues this weekend, but really its more the player than the sax. Id suggest a yamaha 62 or 82z

Reply To Post

1. by rwillia85
        (4 posts)

15 years ago

I aprreciate the feedback, Cuber and Kelsey. I'm thinking now that I won't go the vinatge route, since I don't want a sax that's going to require more maintenance or be "quirky". Both of you mentioned the 62, so I may go that route. Still, I like what I'm hearing about the Mauriat 76, too. I don't know, I wish there was a music store locally that had both in stock so I could try them both out, (or listen to someone else try them out). It looks like it's down to one of those two, though. Thanks so much!

Reply To Post

2. by newreedsyndrome
      (343 posts)

15 years ago

See if you can find a used Keilwerth. Those are ballsy. A King Super 20 would be great, or a Conn 10m. But those are vintage and ill be a little more pricy

Reply To Post

1. by newreedsyndrome
        (343 posts)

15 years ago

*will

Reply To Post

1. by rwillia85
          (4 posts)

15 years ago

which keilwerth model would you suggest?

Reply To Post