Saxophone Forum

by caltripp
(1 post)
20 years ago

E.M. Winston and Maestro Tenor Sax?

I am looking to purchase a sax for my daughter who is a beginner but wants a nice looking horn. I am looking to spend under $500. I have heard that the Helmke & Monique are poor choices. I know that I can get a used student Yamaha for around $500, but the used horns usually look just that...used having some degree of srcatches, dents, tarishing, etc., so I don't think my daughter would be happy with a blimished horn, thought I am still considering it (only if it is in "like new" condition). But I am also looking at horns by E.M. Winston and Maestro. Has anyone had any experience or know the quality of either of these? Thanks! L. Tripp

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blog234
    (14 posts)

20 years ago

Re: E.M. Winston and Maestro Tenor Sax?

As any saxophone player will (or at least tell you) is that the looks aren't the most important aspect of a saxophone, its the sound.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

20 years ago

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ As any saxophone player will (or at least tell you) is that the looks aren't the most important aspect of a saxophone, its the sound. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- For a beginner, the most important aspects of a saxophone are: 1) Reliability 2) Intonation Cheaply manufactured horns typically have a bad reputation for both.

Reply To Post

2. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

20 years ago

I haven't heard anything too bad about E.M. Winston, and some have said, for the price, it can be a fairly good instrument. I have no personal experience to back that up, though. If you look long enough, you may find a used horn with a reliable reputation that does look quite good. Another possibility it to relaquer a used horn. (Some people will not consider any relaquering. Depending on how it is done, it could change the tone of the instrument. On the other hand, it could be a purist attitude...) Blessings on your search.

Reply To Post

3. by Maris
    (1 post)

19 years ago

EM Winston is a high quality appealing instrument that will be ideal and will fit within your budget. visit my selection at store.yahoo.com/brandsplace/musical-instruments-wind.html

Reply To Post

4. by Lefty
    (21 posts)

19 years ago

It seems really interesting when the only entry on any discussion forum from the previous respondent is to promote a product that he sells, and to praise it in the process. But certainly, in the Land of the Free, he's entitled. As for my entitlement, as a repairman of 30+ years and a saxophonist since 1960, I would not have a Winston sax up my broad backside, even if there was room for a sawmill---regardless of price. In a world where image is everything, they DO look nice in the case when new. Substandard pads, less that tool steel temperment in the hinge rods, genuine mother of plastic instead of shell, light weight keys and mechanisms that allow for stability in adjustments to last for weeks, etc. Perhaps what should be done, Mr. L. Tripp, is to contact the repairman of record in your neighborhood and ask what HE thinks; will he even work on them? And perhaps, too, Mr. Tripp, if budgetary considerations are driving this decision, and the daughter won't contenance a used sax, thaen she should join the free enterprise system, and help pay for what she needs, not just what she wants. Lefty

Reply To Post

5. by Lefty
    (21 posts)

19 years ago

It seems really interesting when the only entry on any discussion forum from the previous respondent is to promote a product that he sells, and to praise it in the process. But certainly, in the Land of the Free, he's entitled. As for my entitlement, as a repairman of 30+ years and a saxophonist since 1960, I would not have a Winston sax up my broad backside, even if there was room for a sawmill---regardless of price. In a world where image is everything, they DO look nice in the case when new. Substandard pads, less that tool steel temperment in the hinge rods, genuine mother of plastic instead of shell, light weight keys and mechanisms that allow for stability in adjustments to last for weeks, etc. Perhaps what should be done, Mr. L. Tripp, is to contact the repairman of record in your neighborhood and ask what HE thinks; will he even work on them? And perhaps, too, Mr. Tripp, if budgetary considerations are driving this decision, and the daughter won't contenance a used sax, thaen she should join the free enterprise system, and help pay for what she needs, not just what she wants. Lefty

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

19 years ago

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- It seems really interesting when the only entry on any discussion forum from the previous respondent is to promote a product that he sells, and to praise it in the process. But certainly, in the Land of the Free, he's entitled. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- He's entitled only because the posting policies in this forum don't prohibit him from engaging in the practice, actually. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Perhaps what should be done, Mr. L. Tripp, is to contact the repairman of record in your neighborhood and ask what HE thinks; will he even work on ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Indeed! This is exactly what I've said on this issue!

Reply To Post

1. by Goldref18
        (145 posts)

19 years ago

Looks are the worst possible reason to buy a horn. Get one that's affordable and plays well because in reality if it's her first horn and a student model, it might probably end up in poor condition anyway.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM