...has changed...

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

15 years ago

Re: change neck

just practice...the whole neck piece/mouthpiece thing is over rated..the neck piece on your horn was designed for that horn..long tones and arpeggios..tone studies ..will go a long way toward improving your sound..the secret is not in the equipment..it's in the player...just work on your stuff, and don't get pulled into the better mouthpiece/better neck piece syndrome..you can get a great sound on the set you have..just keep workin' it..good luck..p.s. just an opinion..

Reply To Post

1. by saxall60
      (29 posts)

15 years ago

Thank for your point of view. Despite what it seems, that's what I'm thinking too. I'm just astonished that such things can be proposed !

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

15 years ago

cannonball Adderly was quoted as saying that it didn't matter what he was playing on..as long as it didn't get in his way..good luck in your quest.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

15 years ago

(Go with what you got as long as it doesn't get in your way) A bad mouthiece can really get in the way, even with lots of practice and long times. (long tones are over rated) Just don't over do the mouthpiece thing. Find one that works, then lots of playing. I agree with the above statement concerning the neck of your horn. Probably the neck that came with the sax is best.
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by saxall60
          (29 posts)

15 years ago

Thank you all. I notice They are always the same guys sending their advices... I agree. I'm just husking the problems to be sure of myself ! and keep practising the way every day.

Reply To Post

3. by Lotus54
          (32 posts)

14 years ago

The mp and neck certainly make a big difference in sound. I recall trying the original C* that came with my Ref-36, sounded completely different than the Guardala custom I use. Yeah, that may be extreme but each sounds differently. It is good to find a setup that compliments the sound you are reaching for. That said, I agree that you can get overly focused on the gear and not enough just playing. I've been using the same MP for a long time now, not really looking for something different. On the other hand, when the Ref 36 came out I ordered one (from here) and spend quite a bit of time comparing (recording also so I could hear it back). The 36 just plain sounded better and played better for what I am reaching for. Yeah, I could have just stayed with the old VI I've had since '74, but the new one just plain worked better for me. Could anyone else tell the difference? yeah, in the bottom end- but maybe only a sax nut on the rest. Hmmm, this seems like a round about way to say both yes and no. I think it is good to keep an open mind about gear but not get too focused on it. Mark

Reply To Post