Saxophone Forum

by stabart
(6 posts)
20 years ago

Tenor Sax help!

Hello, I m new in saxophone, and i want to buy a tenor.Any suggestions? Anyone knows something about Prelude designed by selmer? Thank you.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Tenor Sax help!

You probably will be satisfied with a YTS23 tenor. They go for around 1150, and are nice starter instruments. Jupiters are also good horns for the budget, I reccomend getting the deluxe or artist series. If you do go jupiter, bring along a sax player, because some people like jupiters, and others hate them. Keilwerth is also a good brand. I have never heard of Prelude by Selmer, though even though it has the selmer name on it, it doesn't mean it has selmer quality. Spend time looking for a sax, the more time you take, the more you'll get a sax that fits you.

Reply To Post

2. by karebear1012
    (395 posts)

20 years ago

Well, how long have you been playing sax (if at all)? If you've never even held a saxophone, I'd recommend renting a horn from your local music shop because you might not even like playing. If you're a beginner, but you're sure you want to keep playing for the rest of your life, it would probably make sense to just invest in a pro horn. Because, in most cases, the value of beginner and intermediate horns goes down after they've been used. The value of pro horns only goes up. If this is what you want, I'd recommend Keilwerth (very good, but very expensive), the unlaquered Yamaha, Yamaha Z or EX, Selmer Reference, Selmer series III, or possibly a yanigasawa (some people love them, others hate them). I don't really like Jupiters because people have told me that they make cheap trumpets (my main instrument is trumpet), but they may work great for the price they're sold at. Even if you don't end up with a really good horn, you can still sound really good. I have a really cheap beginner Alpine saxophone, and I'm already lead sax in our HS jazz band freshmen year. It's important that you have a good mouthpiece to play on also. I play on a Selmer C*, Meyer is also good. Hope this helps! Kara

Reply To Post

1. by stabart
      (6 posts)

20 years ago

First of all thank very much, both of you, for your help! Actually i dont play sax at all.I m a musician and i been playing trumpet for 14 years, guitar& piano.I have hold and try to play sax 2 or 3 times. :) The problem is that i live in Greece and here i dont know any shop that rents saxs!!! So Im thinking of buying a sax but i dont want a very cheap one that makes problems in the near future. Im thinking Yamaha or a Selmer one. Anyway, thank you again for your time & help!

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

20 years ago

I'm actually looking for the same type of thing. A nonbeginner tenor, that will take me for life. What I've been looking at is the YTS62II, the Jupiter Artist 889SG, the Yani T901, & the Keilwerth EX90. I'm really into the YTS62II reccomend going to www.wwbw.com to take a look at their selection. They might not have the best prices listed, but they match nearly everything. Good Luck!

Reply To Post

1. by stabart
          (6 posts)

20 years ago

Thank you again!I m looking this site right now.

Reply To Post

2. by karebear1012
        (395 posts)

20 years ago

Wow, that's awesome that you've been playing trumpet so long! I've been playing for about 5 years (im a freshman in high school), but i got very discouraged on trumpet when I got braces. That's why I started playing the sax in addition to trumpet. I also play piano piano and guitar (i suck at guitar). The selmer reference is an awesome horn. I just played an alto today, and it sounded great. The Series III was nice, but it had a brighter tone.. If you want to play sax forever, then just buy a good on because you wont need to invest in a pro horn later on. oh yeah, you probably shouldn't buy a horn over the internet unless there's a return policy. You don't want to end up with a piece of junk. Try www.wwbw.com. Good luck!! Kara

Reply To Post

2. by stabart
      (6 posts)

20 years ago

First of all thank very much, both of you, for your help! Actually i dont play sax at all.I m a musician and i been playing trumpet for 14 years, guitar& piano.I have hold and try to play sax 2 or 3 times. :) The problem is that i live in Greece and here i dont know any shop that rents saxs!!! So Im thinking of buying a sax but i dont want a very cheap one that makes problems in the near future. Im thinking Yamaha or a Selmer one. Anyway, thank you again for your time & help!

Reply To Post

1. by stabart
        (6 posts)

20 years ago

I m not thinking buying a horn online, Just wanted to get an idea-prices for some models.Thanks for you help.

Reply To Post