Saxophone Forum

by sax_maniac
(984 posts)
20 years ago

H.W. Pad Saver good. LaVoz bad.

Just wanted to note that not all pad savers are created equal. The LaVoz with the big rubber stopper at the end is too dense with fibers and requires too much force to get it inside the horn. They also create lots of lint for whatever reason, which can mess things up like a pad seal over time. I shouldn't have to lint-brush the inside of my case. It's like handling a shedding dog, quite frankly. The HW, however, is friendlier to the horn and doesn't shed like the LaVoz. It has a hard plastic cap on the end (smaller than the LaVoz "bunghole stopper") which doesn't maybe create as much of a safety for the octave pin, but at least I don't have to muscle my horn to get the saver in there. ...and remember kids... A PAD SAVER IS NOT A SWAB!!! (unless you're taking care of King Kong's ears... Use a pull through first. I like the silky oneses.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: H.W. Pad Saver good. LaVoz bad.

Oh yeah - I also really dig H.W.'s bell saver. Don't know if it really makes a difference or not if you swab things out well. Sometimes it's hard to get the bow moisture real thoroughly, so I figure it's worth what little trouble it is to use it.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

20 years ago

----------------------------------------------------------------------- ...and remember kids... A PAD SAVER IS NOT A SWAB!!! ------------------------------------------------------------------------- That's true, a swab doesn't hold moisture against a pad, nor does it shed like a cat in spring.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

20 years ago

I can add to that. My LaVoz pad saver on my sax (tenor) stinks! the lint sticks to my case and in my instrument, and the neck saver barely fits the neck of my school's YTS23. ahhhh, I get chills hearing the sound of the neck saver going through the neck, it scratches. don't buy lavoz pad savers! at least not for your YTS23

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

OH! Don't get me started on the POS LaVoz neck savers and mouthpiece savers! Those little useless plastic end caps that fall off - exposing a sharp metal point. I use my neck saver as a mouthpiece swab now. I'm not sure what to do with the mouthpiece savers. If I had a cat, I'd hang it from a fishing line or something as a play toy. Am I talking about the cat or the mouthpiece saver? Hmmm..... Get the Hodge silk pull-through jobbie for your neck and mouthpiece. Your tooth fillings won't loosen so much when cleaning your neck.

Reply To Post

2. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

20 years ago

that's weird, I do the exact same thing. I have this cheap 4C, and I put it on my neck saver for storage to take to school, lol, it keeps the mouthpiece clean, I guess. yea, mine has a sharp end too, I hate it. I heard about this one kid, from a school near ours, who had to be taken to the hospital for an eye injury because he was sword fighting with a friend who had a pad saver with a sharp end. hmmmm......that's a good way to use those things.

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

I swapped the pad savers last night and the HW does sufficiently protect the octave mechanism. Now I use the LaVoz to stabilize my C-Mel in a somewhat larger tenor case.

Reply To Post

4. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

i have a radical idea: don't use a pad saver. they really don't save pads. if you're wearing out pads, maybe you should think about whether your tone holes are really more like razor blades than anything. i guess what i'm getting at is rolled tone holes. they's awesome. pad savers, on the other hand, are useless.

Reply To Post