Saxophone Forum

by MartinMods
(63 posts)
15 years ago

Hi All, Martins do it for me. Looking forward to exchanging ideas. Lance MartinMods

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Jmadrachimov
    (2 posts)

15 years ago

Re: New Member

Reply To Post

1. by Jmadrachimov
      (2 posts)

15 years ago

Re: New Member

Sorry. I'm trying to figure out how to post a message. I bought a Selmer silver sax serial # 14224. It's supposed to be a cigar cutter but there is no holes like a cigar cutter. I can't figure out what it is anybody know??

Reply To Post

2. by MartinMods
    (63 posts)

15 years ago

Re: FYI

...just wanted to add, that on my own initiative, I resigned my SOTW membership, in protest of the administration's censorship policy. I was not thrown out, though they would like to have it appear that way. Lol.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

15 years ago

yeay for martins! got a favorite model?

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
        (279 posts)

15 years ago

jen hawkins

Reply To Post

1. by MartinMods
          (63 posts)

15 years ago

If you wanna go there, I gotta go with Kelly Brook. Otherwise I have The Martin ATB. The bari is soon to be a MartinMods - The Martin - ULTIMATE - Low A Baritone. First of it's kind. I just played an Olds stencil that was very nice. It had the Conn 10m neck bend. Wonder if that had any influence on the cool sound.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

oh... saxophone models... right... The first versions of "The Martin A/T/B" i assume? why do i assume that? because those are the good ones. (and ive got one (/brag)) a low A martin bari seems interesting.

Reply To Post

3. by MartinMods
          (63 posts)

15 years ago

Yeah. I don't like nickel plating - Magna or MusicMan. The stupid thing about the Magna Low A bari is, you have to finger Bb to get a low A with the thumb. No way to play A-C#-E. Check out prototype #1: www.martinmods.com/lowapict01.jpg www.martinmods.com/lowa02.jpg www.martinmods.com/lowasequence.mp3 Nice MK6 sound but a little more balls.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

i got a good deal on mine, so its my favorite. and nickel plating bothers me. I think there is a way to rig up something that you dont have to finger a Bb to get an A, but i wouldnt try it myself personally. i like it. especially the duct-tape part. adds class. though the big gaping whole near the bow is slightly concerning. MkVI baris dont impress me. im much happier with my yamaha 52, though i like the sound of a 62 better... but anyway, I dont think mk VI baris are as good as their littler counterparts. id rather have a 12m.

Reply To Post

5. by MartinMods
          (63 posts)

15 years ago

"I think there is a way to rig up something that you dont have to finger a Bb to get an A, but i wouldnt try it myself personally." It involves adding a linkage lever between the A key (actually closes the Bb key cup) and the Bb key (actually closes the B key cup). Send me your horn, I'll do it for .... email me - [email protected] The low A prototype looks like cr@p, but it works. I'll finish the first one by next month. It will look good MKVI vs. Yam 52, or anything else. Just like their smaller brethren, there are great mk6 bari's and dogs. I had a great one, that I bought in....1979 and played in European recording studios. There were guys playing Conns, Keilwerths, etc, but I became the most in demand bari player because of my sound. I'm a tenor player, and bari was a double. I got a Lawton 8*b and I was set. They do a LOT of recording in Munich (Bavarian Radio and other studios) and they have every Neumann Microphone imaginable - sparing no expense. I couldn't figure it out at first, you know. I didn't care that much about bari, but it was a gig. I got a good horn/mouthpiece combination. OK. But when I played in the studio, the guys in the booth started jumping and dancing around like crazy. This happend frequently. One of the best free-lance engineers came up to me one day and explained it - "that's the best sounding baritone we have ever heard." What's the explanation? It's partly the player - focus and an ear for sound, and he played with intensity, but mainly - the MK6 has a tight core, a focused frequency range that records very well. A recording engineer has to place every instrument in a limited 2 (modern mixing=3) dimensional field. A tight focused sound saves them a lot of work fixing eq. All the trumpet players in LA play Calliccio trumpets. They are made for recording, having a tight core and a focused sound. If you hear a guy playing live with one, say in a big band, mixed with Yamahas, Bach, etc. the sound thin and tinny, But Jerry Hey sounds GREAT on any recording he's on with the same horn. It's a different market with different requirements. I like a Selmer for recording (larger groups) but the Martin has the core + more meat . It can do everything. Conns are great too. I'm rebuilding two 12m's and a Pan American (is actually made better than the 12m's) I'd say Conn for combo/solo work Martin for larger ensemble. I haven't decided if I'd have a Conn of the side for solos or not at this point.

Reply To Post AIM

6. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

my only bari is the 52. it doesnt have the Bb/A problem. though if i ever do have a bari with that problem, ill keep you in mind. whatever works, works. on the sound thing, im inclined to think that the core sound comes from the person, not the horn. the horn/mouthpiece/reed/ligature just refine that sound. pan americans are funny things, imo. some of them are very good horns, some truly horrible.

Reply To Post

7. by MartinMods
          (63 posts)

15 years ago

"whatever works, works." That's it. I played lead alto for 6 years on an older Blessing 202. It had the best scale, a perfect open C#, a beautiful D2/E2, and cutting edge. It finally just fell apart though, it was so cheaply made.

Reply To Post AIM