Saxophone Forum

by choob
(4 posts)
15 years ago

improv

what notes would i play with these chords, there is a g,f,d and a sharps in the key signature. F#m G#m C#m

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by choob
    (4 posts)

15 years ago

Re: improv

this is on an alto sax.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

15 years ago

anything you want. it just depends on how you do it.

Reply To Post

1. by knorter
        (205 posts)

15 years ago

When dealing with improvisation, key signatures aren't always relevant. This is because chord progressions sometimes move in and out of various keys throughout a song. I would recommend dealing with each individual chord as you get started. Eventually you'll learn how to connect chords to each other. If you're a true beginner I would suggest learning what 4 notes are in each chord and trying to build simple melodies using those 4 notes. Do you know how to figure out chord tones? If not I can help you. Cuber....... Really? That only works when you're playing with and for other people that don't know what they're doing either. Kristy

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by choob
          (4 posts)

15 years ago

no, i dont know how to do that :P. explain anything and everything you think will help

Reply To Post

2. by knorter
          (205 posts)

15 years ago

Choob, Learning theory is a long term project. I'll give you a few things but you should really buy a jazz theory book. Mark Levine wrote a great book, I think its even called the Jazz Theory Book. A really great beginner book is called the jazz language by Dan Haerle. 1. learn all of your major scales. 2. learn what chord symbols mean. Or google these things. The lower case m next to a note means it's a minor chord. When you're first learning I'd keep it simple. Learn 3 types of chords: major, minor and dominant. To build a major chord learn the major scale of the note listed in the chord. Find the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th note of the scale. For example C major: the C major scale is CDEFGABC. Therefore a C major chord is C E G B Minor chords are exactly the same except the 3rd note and 7th note of the scale are lowered a half step. For example: Cm (C minor chord) C major scale CDEFGABC. Find 1 b3 5 b7 C Eb G Bb Dominant is the same as major except you lower the 7th a half step. C E G Bb You'll need to learn the F#, G# and C# major scales, then lower the 3rds and 7th. Initially this seems really hard but once you learn it you'll get better quickly. Remember there are only 12 keys. So really you're just memorizing 12 chords. Good luck. Seriously look into buying a beginner jazz theory book. Dan Haerle's is very straightforward. Kristy

3. by choob
          (4 posts)

15 years ago

thank you very much,=] i plan on picking those to up as well as a few others.

Reply To Post

4. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

knorter- obviously there are limitations, but if you feel like throwing a riff from, say, "Oh Suzanna" you definatly can, if you set it up right. and i realize that wasnt exactly the most helpful comment, was it? talking about intro jazz theory books, i like Mark Levine's "the jazz theory book" he explains stuff better than i can

Reply To Post

5. by knorter
          (205 posts)

15 years ago

Cuber-- ok the jazz gods forgive you. :D I know what you mean but I try to consider my audience before saying things. I could tell by the initial post that the person was a complete beginner, so I tried to give the softball pitch answer that they could actually digest and use to improve their playing. Just my opinion. Kristy

6. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

yes, i should have been more helpful.

Reply To Post