Saxophone Forum

by bschap
(1 post)
15 years ago

selmer super action 80

anyone have anything to say about the orig super action 80? I've been playing one since about 1984. what's they're reputation? how come no body ever talks about them??

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by so_saxy_it_hurts
    (5 posts)

14 years ago

Re: selmer super action 80

Good horn. They have a good reputation amung people who play them, but there is just so much talk about VI's and the newer models that the Series 1's get looked off. A step up from VII's, but they still tend to have a little boomier of a bottom end than VI's. My alto is a 1982 Super Action 80. Had to have it buffed and then gold plated due to pitting because salt air had attacked its surface a fair amount and that plating stopped the pitting process. It would seem to be in "rough" shape to a prospective buyer, but I don't know if I would want to part ways with it. I love the sound that I get out of it and the action is fantastic.......... also it's got a lot of history for only being just shy of 30 years old (It was in the trunk during a car accident a long time ago and needed some straightening as well........). I have a few alto pieces at my disposal, but the Meyers and Berg Larsen's sound terrible on my horn.... Otto link sounds FANTASTIC. I don't know if other series 1's are that finicky with mouthpieces......

Reply To Post

1. by VintageTenorSound
      (1 post)

14 years ago

Only a small number of series I were actually made. My tech calls them the last MK VI made Selmer. I own a series I tenor and alto. The tenor has a very warm dark tone to it. I use a Vandoren T75 mouthpiece (large chamber) which works very well. The alto is also very warm. Using a small chambered Meyer mouthpiece you get a true lead alto sound but with a deep warm feel to it. My wife thought I was playing my tenor when actually was playing the alto. However, I played a lot of MKVI and SA80 altos which were unimpressive, so just try them all.

Reply To Post

2. by Bari cool
    (2 posts)

14 years ago

I played a super action 80 bari all through high school. Unfortunately it was the school's, not mine. I've played many horns, including some modern professional models, and that bari blew them all away in tone and action. It had a super rich sound and was incredibly easy to play from top to bottom. I'd buy another one of those before any other saxophone out there!

Reply To Post