Saxophone Forum

by wong_way
(1 post)
15 years ago

Conn Chu Berry C-Melody

Hey, I've been looking for a vintage sax and I ran across a Conn Chu Berry C-Melody. He is offering $450 for it but it needs to be re-padded. The serial # is: C M196023 L I was just wondering if this was worth it? I know Chu Berry is like the Cadillac of Conn but is it worth that much for a C-Melody (Since I've read that C-melody's are cheaper and such)? He said the M also means it's a professional horn. Is this true? is this even really a chu berry? were there chu berry c-melodies? and is it worth it? Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by DCH
    (1 post)

14 years ago

Re: Conn Chu Berry C-Melody

ww: My understanding is, if it's got the "fingernail file" g# key, then it's a Chu... Of course you can tell if it's a C by the serial, and letter. I would think all Chu Berry's would have been "professional"... don't think any "lesser" models were made. I think the serial # would also pinpoint whether it's a Chu or not. As to value.... that's kind of vague... I think if he posted it on ebay he could get more. You could get it overhauled for around $850. Dean Sanford in Milwaukee does a great job - google his name and his website will come up. DCH

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Conn Chu Berry C-Melody

well, its tough to determine the value of c-melodies. Why? because not a lot of them were made, and less people want them. If you will be playing it a lot, then for 450 its tough to beat. repad will cost 200-300 the serial number is in the right range for a chu. i doubt conn would have made a student-line c-mel.

Reply To Post