Saxophone Forum

by teggvb6
(6 posts)
5 years ago

Conn "Shooting Star" Alto with Strange Serial #

Folks, I found an old Conn-USA "shooting star". Strange thing is the serial number is only 4-digits. Serial number is 6212. No Prefix letter. Conn USA is stamped on the bell. Key guards are sheet metal, not the wire things. Horn is in wonderful condition and plays great, so not giving it up, just trying to satisfy my curiosity about year, place of manufacture, and overall thoughts on this horn. Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (574 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Conn "Shooting Star" Alto with Strange Serial #

Your horn is actually officially termed the Conn "Director" model, and is very much a student grade horn. Conn switched from Wire to Sheet Metal guards in the mid 60's, so your horn has to post date that approximate date. Monetary value for these is limited, so play and enjoy it.

Reply To Post

1. by teggvb6
      (6 posts)

5 years ago

Thanks! Any idea about the four digit serial number? It does not seem to fit in to any Conn serial number chart I have been able to find.

Reply To Post

2. by rickyraveon
    (1 post)

4 years ago

I was given a similar horn about 10 years ago. great condition, 4 digit Conn USA "shooting star" SN is 7701, so I guess it's a little younger than yours. However, mine has a Telex 1k ohm pickup/mic on the neck. No wires or connections, & I've never tried to hook it up. There's a fitting on the top of the neck, & the pickup pops into the orifice. Anyway, it's a great player, & I used it for years. I need to get it tuned up a bit, but I like it a lot, student horn or not.

Reply To Post