Saxophone Forum

by skilewis74
(2 posts)
14 years ago

EWI - Electronic Wind Instruments

I'm thinking of getting one largely to have the ability to practice silently late at night w/o disturbing my roommates this is especially true since I'm a beginner. Later on it would prob be good for ease of recording and to access the maraid of other sounds available. I'm looking most closely at the Yamaha WX5 since it has a sax similar reeded mouth peace and sax fingering options which will likely make transfering to an accoustic sax smoother. Since I'm a beginner is it a bad idea to start out this way (I'm sure I'll get an actual sax when I get more money and better skills) Sorry if there's already a thread on EWI's, I checked all threads for the past year and found nothing related (a search function would be great).

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

14 years ago

Re: EWI - Electronic Wind Instruments

In my humble opinion, this is not a very good idea. A wind controller is not a saxophone, and very little of the technique will transfer. I f you want to play sax, get a sax and a competent teacher and begin practicing and studying..there's really no other way. I played around with the wind synths for awhile..they really don't cut it..something about the air flowing down the brass tube..the electronics really don't seem to be alive..the saxophone is..just get with, pal..the horn is the real deal.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

14 years ago

I have to agree with chalazon!! If I were the beginner who posted this I would get a room mate who didn't mind me practicing!! But if you are not willing to make SAXrifices like this, take up piano and use earphones. I considered buying a wind controller a few years ago. Instead I decided to learn piano instead. Now I work as much as a piano player as a sax/flute player.....Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by wvujazzman
    (48 posts)

14 years ago

I agree with the other posts - an electronic instrument is NOT the way to learn sax. I have been playing sax for about 32 years or so, and I've had a WX5 as well for the past 3 years. Here are my observations: 1. It is NOT a sax. It is KINDA like a sax for MOST fingerings... but there are very big differences, like the SEVEN OCTAVE range. There are two octave keys above and two below the thumb rest, and the thumb technique is totally different. This thing is very much it's own instrument, and really doesn't do much at all to help your sax playing. 2. The WX5 by itself makes no sound. You need a sound module, and if you don't get one specifically designed for wind instruments, you're really wasting your money on the WX5. I use the Yamaha VL70m with the Patchman Turbo ROM chip. Outstanding sounds, but not cheap. 3. You will probably be able to get a good sax for less money than a good WX5 rig. I have about $1500 into my rig, before we talk about amplification. To go out and play where someone else can hear me, I take around $2,000 worth of stuff. You can get a VERY nice horn for that kinda money. I happen to think the WX5 is a great instrument, but it is what it is, and that isn't a sax. Hope this helps.... Eric

Reply To Post