Saxophone Forum

by Spencer_Bari
(3 posts)
14 years ago

New Bari.

Alright, first of all, hello to everyone! I'm a high school senior about to go off to college, and I've been playing saxophone for six years, bari for five of those years. For those entire five years I've been alternating through my school's various Yamahas and Selmers and I hate all of them. I plan on buying (or asking my entire family to chip in on) a new bari of my own before I graduate. My budget isn't too high, but I've been interested in Keilwerths, Cannonballs, and P. Mauriats for a while now. I play jazz primarily, and I love the Gerry Mulligan-esque. If you have any suggestions at all, I'd love to hear them. Thanks, Spencer.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MartinMods
    (63 posts)

14 years ago

Re: New Bari.

Personally, I'd go with a vintage Conn, Martin, or Buescher.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Spencer_Bari
      (3 posts)

14 years ago

Sorry, I meant "Gerry Mulligan-esque sound." And I'd have to agree with you, I love the sounds of vintage horns, but I think for me, the cons (hard to find in good shape, hard to find parts for if it needs repair, and the not very ergonomic keywork) outweigh the pros.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

14 years ago

actually, 12ms have very nice keywork. the entire m series has pretty damn fast keywork, if you ask me. you just have to find one in the right serial number range

Reply To Post

2. by MartinMods
        (63 posts)

14 years ago

All that stuff is fixable. The Conn Wonder is an absolutely great sounding horn. The High E/F, front F, thumb hook, strap ring, LH thumb rest, LH table keys, roller linkages, can all be added or modded, so it feels comfortable, and you would still pay less than if you bought a new modern bari, that didn't sound half as good.

Reply To Post AIM