Saxophone Forum

by Ruthie
(1 post)
14 years ago

Bari on a budget

Hi, I'm a university student in London, England studying Popular Music with sax as my first instrument. I've been playing for 8 years. So I'm ok. But I haven't had the opportunity to own a huge amount of saxes in the past so I need a bit of help! I've played various baris at school and college but the one at my uni isn't allowed to leave the premises which makes it very hard to do gigs on a bari! I've tried a few out... but I have a very limited budget- really £3000 is the most I should spend. I don't know what that means in $s I have to say my favourite is the P.Mauriat 300UL but it's a bit over my budget. The one I'm realistically looking at is an Elkhart. I own an alto and soprano, both yamahas, and they've served me well as a student and I probably won't upgrade them for a while because they seem to be very well adaptable and at the moment that's perfect for me! So I'm looking for something similar in a bari. Please let me know what you think of Elkhart as I'm unfamiliar with the make but with an otto link mouthpiece I seemed to get a pretty nice, deep sound. Anyway I wanted to know if these makes of saxes are known to be sturdy, reliable and well made. The reviews I've read so far are only about the sound which I can see for myself!! I need something that will stand the test of being carted here and there and experimented with- I need versatile horns as I have to play a wide range of genres on my course. Please take into consideration my limited budget and TINY HANDS! (Vintage saxes are a no go!!!) Thanks for your time. Ruthie

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Spencer_Bari
    (3 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Bari on a budget

Well, I'm in a similar situation. I haven't heard anything at all about new Elkhart horns; in fact, I didn't even know they existed. Have you looked at the other P. Mauriats? I know that some of the others are cheaper than the 300-UL.

Reply To Post

1. by knorter
      (205 posts)

14 years ago

Try the Buffet 400 series. They play similar to the P. Mauriats, listed on this site for $3600 US dollars

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by MartinMods
    (63 posts)

14 years ago

3,000.00 GBP=4,996.17 USD I don't understand why anyone would would be willing to spend that much on any modern saxophone, when they could get any incredible sounding/playing vintage horn and get the keywork modded to feel perfect, and that for less than half that price.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

14 years ago

MartinMods, I totally agree with you. The vintage horns are better quality. And you say it's possible to get the action changed to be more comfortable in the hands of someone like me who has only played Mark Vls??We need to talk. I would like to have a backup tenor that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg. I play as a professional and as you know, it's not a pathway to riches.........Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by MartinMods
        (63 posts)

14 years ago

The problems with vintage horns seem to be: 1. LH Thumb Rest/Octave Key Spatula - replace the rounded, arm-numbing button with a flat or contoured rest. The Martin Indiana style rest is very comfortable. The spatula is shaped to match the new rest. LH hinge (selmer style) is also possible 2. LH Palm Keys - replace spatulas with modern shaped brass spatulas, form fitted to the player's hand 3. Front F - add a front F spatula key 4. Bb Bis Key - reposition closer to the B key. Optionally replace with special spatula. 5. Hook Ring / Horn Balance - move the hook ring so the horn is balanced 6. RH Thumb Rest - move thumb rest so the thumb is directly under the index finger. On some horns this requires patching the original chromatic F# tone hole and making a new and smaller (Martin Style) hole higher up on the back of the horn. An adjustable thumb hook is an option. 7. Side Bb Key - many side Bb keys are hinged too close to the key cup so the key travel at the spatula end is excessive. Additionally, the lever then has so much leverage, that even the slightest brush with the RH causes the key to open. The action feels weak as there isn't a spring strong enough to offer sufficient resistance. The fulcrum gets moved towards the spatula. 8. General feel of size and comfort - grinding down the finger pearls to where they are just slightly convex, with rounded edges, makes the horn feel much smaller. Small adjustments to the key arms (bending) and angle of the pearl buttons also make a huge improvement. 9. LH Table Keys - By far, one of the biggest issues. Most repair shops are now offering or planing to offer modern key work for vintage saxes. All, that I know of, other than myself, are using prefabricated keys (Yamaha or other brand). Some are cutting the body in half to offset the stacks, and running the rods down the right side. Some are moving the LH bell tone hole to the Right. Some are replacing the entire bell section. I offer a modified LH hinged solution which had been around for just over a year now. it lengthens the LH lever arms, adds new contoured spatulas, and repositions them for optimal comfort and efficiency. The newest version is an adaptation of the Mk6 RH hinged mechanism, which uses the original bell, tone holes, and most of the original mechanism. The Bb AND the B spatuals tilt and are linked to the C#. The C# is articulated on the LH side and works flawlessly. Sliding rollers on the R/L linkage provide adjustment for leverage and key travel. Picts of it in it's unbuffed condition, on a Conn Chu tenor are here. www.martinmods.com/before.jpg www.martinmods.com/33.jpg www.martinmods.com/34.jpg www.martinmods.com/36.jpg Which design is best? Who knows. We'll have to have a LH Mod Shootout to find out. email me a [email protected] for more info.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

I have your email address from talking to you before. I am looking around for a good deal on a Martin alto or tenor, either one. When I find one you will be the first person I call...........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by MRFIXIT
          (19 posts)

14 years ago

If you are looking for a great horn on a budget, Martinmods is right about being able to fit something to your hands. You still need to put up with some vintage intonation, but for a Conn 12M sound, I could lip a few notes! Now for modern horns, before you get what might be an Asian stencil (since Elkhart is an old American name apparently not being made in america) check out some known brands first, or play test it a lot and get a second opinion on build quality. All I see is "Built in the French tradition and advised by French cratfsmen." You might get a steal, but it is impossible to tell from here. www.donmack.com/ElkhartSaxophones.asp If you like you Yamaha horns, what about a YBS32? If I have the conversion rate right, this should fit your budget. You might even be able to afford a Goodson Bari. If I do not, a new Cannonball or Jupiter would be stood behind in case a lemon got shipped. You could change your mouthpiece and ligature to fit the ensemble with a runyon removable spoiler and be ready for anything. Happy shopping!

Reply To Post