Saxophone Forum

by tenor562
(297 posts)
20 years ago

The best care for a new tenor sax

i'm getting a new sax on saturday, probably a yani 901 or yts62II, and I want to give it a good 20 years or more. this sax is going to take me highschool, and possibly college. I want to keep my sax in new condition for as long as possible. What products do you reccomend?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

20 years ago

Re: The best care for a new tenor sax

1) takeing good care of it and playing nice... 2) not getting overly anail when something does go wrong. It's going to get some dents, it's going to get some scratches, and its' going to get some wear. 3) not limiting yourself by saying you're going to keep it. Alwase try to keep options open.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

20 years ago

Just clean it with the swabs everyday you play, and don't bang it around. By the way, the 62II sounds better, has better response, and probably is a little bit more ergonomic, but you've probably already tried them by now.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks for all your help. Actually, I am going down to South Bend tomorrow, where I'm going to test the Yani 901, YTS62II, YTS82Z, and the Jupiter 889SG. I can't really afford the 82Z, but I want to see why everyone likes it so much, and I might get that horn later in life. I was just wondering what you guys do to keep your horns in tip top shape, ex. swab, pad savers, polishing, or any of your own unique methods to keep it the best horn. Also, if you can find a lower price than 1800 on the YTS62II, that would be great. Thanks again!

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

20 years ago

get a pull swab for the inside, get a silk one, theyre real great. pad savers are great also, but dont just get a pad saver cuz ull shove it in the sax and it holds teh moisture in it...get a swab, pull it thru a few times, then put ur pad saver in. get a "pad saver" for the neck also, it helps keep the octave hole unclogged and prevents stuffy notes in the future. polish it after every time u use it!!! maybe not completely thorough, but run a rag over it for a lil bit..the sweat in your fingers contains acid and will eat the shit outta ur laquer in like, a day, so get it off of there. im very serious about that one, rub off all finger prints and everything. lol im done

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

20 years ago

what should you buy to polish your horn, and how do you? I've never owned my own sax before, so I'm kinda new to this.

Reply To Post

3. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

20 years ago

well what i like to use is a 100% cotton shammy, like those big yellow things that u usually use to wax ur car with?? ever seen them?? theyre like packs of 10 for like 5 bux where i live, if u cant find them, just find the softest shirt u can find and cut it up about the size of ur sax case. and u basically "polish" it, u cant tell me youve never cleaned anything before right?? just rub everything, like ur washing a window or somthin, and if thers a mark thats stubborn, fog it up with your breath and wipe it off, hope that helps

4. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

20 years ago

do you like mix it with soap? i don't want to ruin the lacquer.. and what if I get a silver plated sax? Is there anything different to do?

Reply To Post

5. by YanagisawA-901
          (312 posts)

20 years ago

nooo no no no no no soap..no water, no soap..if you insist on using water use a very very very minimaly wet rag to wipe it, like, just barely damp, cuz silver saxes do scratch easier u do wanna get a lil moisture on it to help ease your wiping, but if u use too much water and like, it drips on your pads, bad news, or if it gets on ur springs or anything, your action will be all thrown off, so if u insist on using WATER! and thats it, make sure the rag is barely even wet.. k, im done

6. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

I recommend wiping a silver plated horn down with a slightly damp sponge to pull the dust off before wiping it down. Silver scratches fairly easily, so it keeps the mirror-like quality longer if you get the dust off.

Reply To Post