Saxophone Forum

by saxxsymbol
(217 posts)
14 years ago

Saxgourmet Super 400 review

Just received my Super 400 Dec. 23rd. Absolutely stunning looking horn, flawless finish, stout build quality. Horns looks almost like it is glowing. Very large bore in the bell. Very quick response. Smoothest , fastest action I have played. Seamless transition over the break between C# and Middle D. I can trill between the two with no break in tone and no movement of the neck octave key. Intonation is within 5 cents on every note. The high G key is incredible. Same timbre as front F and F#. You can really push it without fear of it braking up. You can even trill between high G and E, F , F# or any palm key note. Opens up a lot of new licks you can use up there because of the ease of fingering the high G. The tone reminds me of a very late SBA or a very early Mark VI without the associated problem notes. Very complex, full , rich deep tone with a nice edge to it's core. What sold me on this horn over the model six was the high G key and the adjustable stack keys. The palm key notes are easier on this horn too. Lots of goodies on these too. Kangaroo pads with copper maestro resonators, F# helper bar, No stick G# mechanism, high G key, adjustable stack keys, exceptional RH and LH thumb rests, 2 different material necks, engraving from head to toe, etc.. Hands down the finest tenor I have ever laid hands on. If anyone wishes to try it and are coming thru central florida contact me and we can arrange something. I'll also be at the Florida Strawberry festival with Rick K and the Allnighters March 4th - 14th 2010 doing three shows a day with this horn in the Sweetbay Showcase tent at 11am, 2pm and 5pm.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by MartinMods
    (63 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Saxgourmet Super 400 review

Post some audio links. Let us hear it.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

14 years ago

if i remember right, theres a review of a saxgourmet on shwoodwind.co.uk. dont remember what model though. but yes; lets hear it

Reply To Post

1. by saxxsymbol
        (217 posts)

14 years ago

1. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

14 years ago

I think Tony is my favorite player of the three. James has his own group, Happy Jack Frequency. He sings, plays keyboards and sax.

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

saxxsymbol, is this you talking on the utube link or is it Steve Goodson??? I know you live in Florida, Steve lives in New Orleans, where the video was put together??? If this is you, do you now work for Steve Goodson???............Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

14 years ago

That is Steve's voice. I do not work for him. I own my own Billiard Room. I am really a pool player who plays sax. I assume the video was made in New Orleans as that is where those players are from. I will post a recording of mine when I can get one. i don't have any recording stuff at my place other than a video camera. As you know, I do not play as well as the guys in those links do. The Saxgourmet Super 400 tenor really is a super horn. I paid a fair price and am very happy with it. It is a keeper, unless Steve comes up with a high G# key too, LOL... Whether they be positive or negative, Steve provokes some strong emotions, but he does know how to design a great sax.

Reply To Post

2. by saxxsymbol
        (217 posts)

14 years ago

The only review I found about Steve's designs were for the 2003 Unison tenor sax. Do you have a link to a saxgourmet review?

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

Saxxsymbol, I'm sure it's a great horn. We have talked before, I thought the video might be you. You have always been a strong supporter or the Goodson horns. As far as wanting to know about Unison saxes myself, I am a Mark Vl guy and will never change..........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

kelsey, lets not start the whole "Everybody is steve" thing again. sure, he seems like the 5-30 people steve created, but lets give him the benefit of the doubt. And regarding the videos- sure, the guys can play, but theres nothing to compare it to. Nothing really convinced me to trade away my reference 54. of course, i just got the thing wednesday, sooo...... (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Reply To Post

3. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

14 years ago

No doubt the reference 54 is a great tenor ! I played a friends from Lakeland last year. He had the matte finish which I didn't care for. I prefer the Super 400 for its sound, ergos, look and price. Not saying its better for everybody, just that I prefer it. The fact is many manufacturers are making great horns today at prices unheard of before. It is easier than ever to get a great playing and sounding horn with a good build quality for very little money. Not everybody can afford a good Mark VI. Kelsey, you would be blown away by these horns. They have the core sound much like the very best Mark VI's with the feel of a Mark VI in your hands, only better.

Reply To Post

4. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

The only new horn I have played was the 82z alto sent to my son Chris to revieu. It was a really good horn and, if I needed another alto, I could be perfectly happy playing one. I didn't like it as well as my Mark Vl alto but of course that's what I've been playing for all these years..........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

5. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

14 years ago

Update on my tenor. Just had it set up for the first time by Charlie at Brass and Reeds in Cocoa. He really did a super job. I didn't realize what I was missing. He opened up my bell keys , lower stack keys and fixed a couple of leaks. Really plays quiet now the full range of the horn. If you want to hear me play it go to youtube and look up "saxmanchuck" and check out " wooly booly" and "old time rock and roll " from the Florida Strawberry festival. this was before the set up. The other clips are either my model six tenor or my model six alto. These were recorded with a cheap kodak digital camera so sound quality isn[t great.

Reply To Post

6. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

14 years ago

Now I am seriously looking at the super 400 alto.................

Reply To Post

7. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

Chuck, I thought you were a jazz kind of player??
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

8. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

14 years ago

I do prefer to play jazz, but I also like to work and play to an audience. The Rick K gig is a lot of fun to play. The trumpet player Bobby Menear is an arranger and a helluva nice guy. They will be flying me to Uncasville Ct. to the Mohegan Sun for a gig in the Wolf Den on May 10th and going to Nashville for the international Moose Symposium in July. They have afforded me the opportunity to travel and play and I am grateful for it.

Reply To Post

9. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

I have done lots of rock. Music has been my only income for some time. But since the economy went south, the good thing that's happened is I've decided to play more jazz. I played for a Medical Convention in Daytona Beach last Saturday with piano, bass and myself on sax. First set included, Joy Spring, Conformation, Anthropology, Moments Notice, Stella by Starlight (the only so called jazz standard we did). The people loved us and told our agent they wanted us again next year. Musicians who do the old tired standards don't have to anymore. The younger crowds now don't know the difference. You can play some tired tune like Misty or New York New York and most of these folks never heard it before anyway. Might as well please myself. Of course, the band must be MFs!! But if I get a call to prostitute myself on a rock gig I can't turn it down. I need the money...........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

10. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

14 years ago

I wish I could get a paid jazz gig, LOL. I will take what I can get but I won't do bars for any amount. I am flying up to Ct this Sunday for a Monday gig with the same group, Rick K and the Allnighters and doing the International Moose symposium in July in Nashville. Love those music road trips.

Reply To Post

11. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

14 years ago

Not sure now about the Nashville gig because we were supposed to play at the Opryland Hotel. Hope that city recovers soon.

Reply To Post

3. by SteveR
        (9 posts)

14 years ago

BEFORE ANYONE TAKES SUX-SYMBOL'S ADVICE, THEY SHOULD KNOW THAT HE IS THE BIGGEST SHILL AND FULL-TIME SUCK-BUDDY OF STEVE GOODSON, WHO IS A SORRY-ASSED, PIECE OF SHIT, LYING THIEF. GOODSON LIKES TO STEAL PEOPLE'S HORNS AND THEN DENY IT AND SUX-SYMBOL ALWAYS COMES RIDING TO THE RESCUE TO LIE ON HIS SUCK-BUDDY'S BEHALF. DON'T DO ANYTHING TO SUPPORT THE LYING PIECE OF SHIT STEVE GOODSON. HE IS A BLIGHT ON THE SAX COMMUNITY IN GENERAL AND SHOULD BE BURNED AT THE STAKE FOR THE SHIT HE HAS PULLED OVER THE YEARS.

Reply To Post

1. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

14 years ago

Moderators, please handle this guy.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
            (653 posts)

14 years ago

ah.... good times

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

Steve R!! That's not very nice. Saxsymbol likes the Steve Goodson horn. Lots of people hate Steve Goodson but Saxsymbol doesn't. Don't transfer your hate for Goodson to poor Saxsymbol who just happens to like Goodson's horns. I like Guardala mouthpieces, but Dave Guardala, so I've heard, is in jail for stealing money from propective horn buyers. I won't buy another Guardala mouthpiece, but the one I have is great for me. Steve, you have your own opinion...Opinions are like AHs, everybody has one!! Attack Goodson, not Saxsymbol..............Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by cuber
            (653 posts)

14 years ago

kelsey, dont forget that anyone who agrees with steve in the least is actually steve with a different profile. (its a joke, for you people who werent here for that)

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
              (930 posts)

14 years ago

Cuber, as you know, Steve G did that to himself by going by different names and lieing. He's kind of a shameless self promoter!! Saxsymbol is a Steve fan and loves the Goodson horns. I'll bet they are pretty good since Saxsymbol is a working musician. I wouldn't want a Goodson horn, but I can respect Saxsymbols opinion....Kelsey
              Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by cuber
              (653 posts)

14 years ago

yeah, the guy is kinda a schmuck. But if hes got good stuff, who really cares?

Reply To Post

3. by saxxsymbol
              (217 posts)

14 years ago

Cuber and Kelsey, thank you for your kind words of support. I am only trying to give an honest appraisal of my saxes that I really like. I am not in the business of judging people, nor have I ever paid much attention to rumors. I can only go by what my experience has been. I like the Super 400 tenor more and more as I play it. Now I have GAS for the alto version and will have to try and let that pass. Have I said how much I like the high G key?

Reply To Post