Saxophone Forum

by AlexFml3
(1 post)
5 years ago

Not quite sure what Tenor to Buy!!!

Hi, Name is Alex I've been playing Alto Sax for 2yrs and now interested in taking the step up to Tenor Sax. Want to purchase my first Tenor sax and not quite sure what to buy, anyone has any idea's, or recommendation? budget=1,000

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by jdaddy
    (11 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Not quite sure what Tenor to Buy!!!

Its going to be really hard to find a horn that inexpensive but i recently got a used Cannonball Global Series for about $1,600. Its a great horn and I love playing it. Good Luck!

Reply To Post

2. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

5 years ago

Tenor isn't really a "step up" from alto. It's a different horn. Alto and tenor each have their own sonic characteristics and advantages and difficulties. Unless you feel strongly that you'd rather play tenor than alto, at this point in your playing I would focus on one horn. If you're budget is $1000 youre not gonna get a good tenor. Maybe you could get a student Yamaha. I would wait until you can afford to spend at least 2500 on a horn and are a more educated player and then do some shopping around if you feel like you still want a tenor.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

5 years ago

Well, something to consider when looking at what tenor you would want to get is the kind of alto you currently play and are used to. Although it is something that an experienced player may not look at, a relatively inexperienced player may want to keep consistent with what they are playing on, so, as they learn, they can keep consistent with what they were learning without having to adjust. So, what kind of alto do you play?

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (801 posts)

5 years ago

Look for an old Martin. They are great horns, lots of Pros play them, they can be less money than the grand you mentioned including the overhaul....Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

5 years ago

Hmm yes. Martins are quite good. I played a dandy Committee II a few years ago, and it blew me away. if you can find a really good one, that's a good buy!

Reply To Post