Saxophone Forum

by JavaJosh
(1 post)
14 years ago

How to play an A3 note on a soprano sax?

I printed off some soprano sax sheet music. One of them is "Songbird" by Kenny G. Anyway it has an A3 note in the second measure and now I'm stumped. As far as I know, the soprano sax's range goes only down to a Bflat3. I couldn't find a fingering chart for A3 anywhere online, so I'm stuck, I can't get past the second measure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

14 years ago

Re: How to play an A3 note on a soprano sax?

the sheet music is probably in concert meaning you have to transpose everything up a whole step, making that a low B on the horn. some cats can bend down to an A - I doubt senor gorelick is one of them. you can also partially cover the bell while playing a low Bb to get an A

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

14 years ago

I actually scrounged up a transcription somewhere online, where there was a soprano sax solo with piano accompaniment. The soprano did indeed go to a B, transposed per the instrument, so I would second newreedsyndrome's assumption.

Reply To Post

1. by mikemudcat
        (1 post)

13 years ago

I know this score. You have the b-flat version which is actually written for Trumpet(look at upper left of page) A is doable on the soprano sax; but below the specified range of the instrument.

Reply To Post