Saxophone Forum

by Emily111
(1 post)
14 years ago

Noob needs to go reed shopping! Advice from clarinet-doublers especially welcome!

Hey there, I apologize for the lame question... I'm a grad student on clarinet with a fair proficiency on bass clarinet, and I decided to start figuring out the alto sax that I have lying around. I have no reeds though- before I go shopping, I'd love some tips on a) what brands are generally regarded as good? I'm mainly going for a jazz sound, but not exclusively. and b) are reed strengths between clarinet and sax reeds generally comparable? Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cuber
    (653 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Noob needs to go reed shopping! Advice from clarinet-doublers especially welcome!

thats ok, we like lame questions. but hate reeds.... anyway.... Vandoren is commonly used, what type kinda depends on what sound you want. Alexanders used to be good, then their quality control went to hell. Rico sucks.

Reply To Post

2. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Noob needs to go reed shopping! Advice from clarinet-doublers especially welcome!

Rico Jazz Selects are solid reeds, and their batting average is about 3 out of 5 which smokes Vandorens at 2 or 3 out of 10, plus the filed Ricos generally play well strait out of the box. Jazz Selects dont particularly color the sound, unlike Vandoren's jazz reeds, which are generally just bright. The reed stregnth question is a little complicated to answer. The reed stregnths themselves are fairly proportional, but the instruments aren't. Since you seem to be an experienced clarinet player, I'd venture a guess that you play fairly hard reeds? While that's standard especially among classical clarinetists, not many saxophonists play harder than a 3.5, or 3H in jazz select stregnths. Your mouthpiece play a huge roll in your reed choice - what mouthpiece do you have?

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

14 years ago

I have to agree on Rico Jazz Select Alto sax reeds. I've been playing them for several years and I have had the same 3 out of 5 good reed batting average as newreedsyndrome............
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM