Saxophone Forum

by reddogsaxman
(2 posts)
14 years ago

Would the Real Dave Guardala Mouthjpiece Mfg Pls Stand Up?

Does anyone understand what is going on with Guardala mouthpieces? It was my understanding that Dave Guardala gave an exclusive license to Nadir Ibrahimoglu who manufacturers the mouthpieces under the name Professional Music Shop (www.pms-music.de/index.html) in Germany. Tenor mouthpieces start at about $478 USD and go up from there. But in the U.S.A. wwbw.com and musiciansfriend.com both are selling "Dave Guardala" mouthpieces for about $199-$249. They are NOT the same mouthpieces according to Nadir. I have one from wwbw.com and the box says "custom made and hand finished in the USA". The gold plating is not very good and it came with a knockoff Rovner ligature that's so far unusable. Does anyone know what's going on here?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Would the Real Dave Guardala Mouthjpiece Mfg Pls Stand Up?

I have a MBll Guardala mouthpiece I bought from Woodwind and Brass. I paid full price for it but since they have gone down in price. I think Dave Guadala's legal problems have something to do with it?? I would like to know if anyone can tell me what to do about getting another teethgaurd (piece of plastic) as somehow I've lost mine. It's a great mouthpiece but I can't play on it as is..............Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by reddogsaxman
      (2 posts)

14 years ago

Kelsey, I think you illustrate my point. There is NO information on the mouthpiece or box re. a company that made it. No address, no phone, etc. I guess you could try contacting Nadir at PMS. He might send you one and it would probably fit. Or you try a large universal stick-on teethguard and cut it to fit the indentation. Good luck.

Reply To Post

2. by mmackenzie838
    (2 posts)

13 years ago

I also have been looking EVERYWHERE online for Dave Guardala mouthpieces, and simply cant figure out if its the 'real deal' or not. Driving me nuts. I just ordered a Dave Guardala Super King for my tenor off of Musiciansfriend.com and cost me about $350 Cdn. It should be here soon and i'll give it a test drive, i hope its not some garbage model that was illegally mass produced in Asia somewhere. How would i really tell the difference anyways?

Reply To Post

1. by zootspiker
      (13 posts)

13 years ago

I have an MBII and a Super King for my tenor. I just order them direct from Ibraham in Germany on line.
      Michael Krechevsky
      King Silversonic Tenor

Reply To Post