Saxophone Forum

by lorenzopace
(3 posts)
14 years ago

alto mouthpiece

I;ve been playing a selmer soloist D (rubber) for years. I would like to darken my tone a bit. I'm thinking a bigger chamber would do it. Any suggestions on brand and cut would be appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SuperSax875
    (55 posts)

14 years ago

Re: alto mouthpiece

Its not just size of the chamber, its shape of the chamber and baffle that makes a big difference. I believe that the soloist has a horseshoe chamber and a small rollover baffle. The rounder the chamber, generally, the darker the sound and different baffles add different degrees of edge to the sound. I use a Selmer Larry Teal and I get a very dark, pure sound. Its got a medium chamber, completely round, and no baffle. I'd recommend it. I've got a modern one, but if you can find a vintage model (with the scroll shank) for a good price, go for that. Its a little more focused. HOWEVER... I do not know your playing ability, so I could be wrong, but don't jump the the conclusion that its the mouthpiece's fault. The Larry Teal is the darkest Selmer piece I've played, but all of the Selmer's have the ability to have a very rich sound. I'd recommend spending a serious amount of time working on your tone on your current mouthpiece before coming to the conclusion that you want to move on. Brad

Reply To Post

1. by SuperSax875
      (55 posts)

14 years ago

I'm sorry, for some reason, I assumed you meant for classical playing. Kind of silly considering the crowd this forum usually attracts. The Soloist is a pretty dark piece overall, try experimenting with your reeds a bit. I'm not terrible well versed in jazz pieces, so I can't recommend much to you, but my statement stands that the Selmer pieces can be made to sound quite dark.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

14 years ago

what kind of reeds are you using?

Reply To Post