Saxophone Forum

by Redsax
(27 posts)
20 years ago

The Accent Soprano Saxophone

I am a 7th grader who has been playing the Tenor for over a year (currently practicing from Rubank Advanced Book 101), and wish to expand my knowledge by taking up the soprano. Before any of you guys say I'm too young, my instructor is insisting that I expand my sax universe. Anyway, I have a 1934 Martin Handcraft Tenor silver plated that sounds really mellow...yes, it's the low tone one, which is better than the Jupiter rental I started with a year ago. My question is...the rental store where I rented my Jupiter from has a soprano sax called "Accent" (they say it's made by Cannonball but without the Cannonball stamp and Cannonball price) and they also have a Yangasawa...has anyone ever heard of the accent and if so , does it play better than the Yangasawa? No hurry to answer because our school teachers are on strike and since this is a birthday gift from my parents, I really could use honest answers before Oct 1st... thanks very much.

[Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: The Accent Soprano Saxophone

When I was looking for a soprano, I tried an Accent for a few days and was quite impressed - as well as some fellow musicians who were curious. It sounded much better/richer than the Yamaha YSS-475 and cost $500 less (just under $1000). I can't say how it compares to Yani as I've not tried their modern sopranos. The only reason I didn't buy the Accent is that I found a vintage Yani at a great price that was an awesome player and I liked the idea of my money being protected in a vintage horn. I didn't know that Cannonball made Accent horns. I liked the Accent alto (German) WAY better than the Cannonball alto. The Accent soprano I tried was made in Taiwan. The store I was at didn't have a Cannonball soprano or I would have tried it. So my ultimate advice is to seek out a vintage horn, but understanding that's not an easy thing for everyone to do, I'd say that you've got a safe bet with the Accent.

2. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

20 years ago

I sit by a kid who plays it in concert and jazz band. He says it's better than yamaha. He sounds ok, for a beginner, (he's a year older than you) but it really doesn't blend in concert band, and that's probably why it's a once in a while jazz instrument. It looks nice, has a nice case, sounds pretty good, and our private lessons teacher reccomended it. You probably need to try it. The yani would be more expensive then the accent, cause it is probably better quality. The one draw back of Accents are that if they're made by cannonball, that brand is known for intonation problems. Yani is probably your best bet, if your willing to pay more, and Accent will do the job.

3. by karebear1012
    (395 posts)

20 years ago

Wow, you're lucky your director will let you play soprano in the band! I'm a freshman, and I'm 13 years old too, and I've been playing Alto for like 2 years. I'm in the jazz band, marching band, and concert band, but my director won't let me play my soprano in any them!! He said that playing the soprano when I'm still young will cause tone problems that will effect my playing on the alto.. so you're really lucky! Let's see..I would recommend Antigua Sopranos .. I have one and they're really good. Also, if you go to church, they usually like to have sopranos play hymns n stuff because of the tone. That's what I'm doing with my friend some sunday. It's also a great way to improve your tone and stuff. Good luck! Kara

1. by Redsax
      (27 posts)

20 years ago

Hi Kara...would like to talk to you more. Tried to e-mail you but it came back. If you look at my profile you can get my email to get in touch with me, as long as you don't mind my mom...it's her email address and might screen the note...yeah I go to church too, but get nervous playing in front of people I know,I play in front of strangers great, but put me in front of my parents and I get butterflies...go figure. Anyway, great response. I got the Accent anyway...it felt right to me, what can I say. I also play tenor, btw. See Ya...Mike(the Redsax)

1. by Spike
        (248 posts)

20 years ago

you... get... a... soprano??? i think i'll go cry. the best thing i got to have or rent before summer after junior year was a series II tenor. i'm jealous, but good for you. wowser. wowwow. my gosh, and you get to try a martin?? wow.

1. by Redsax
          (27 posts)

20 years ago

I started with a Jupiter(rental) a year ago, my mom found a 1934 Martin Handcraft Low-pitch Imperial for 495.00 that plays unbelieveable and this past weekend I got an Accent Soprano...we're renting that for a year until it's paid off. Yeah, my mom's pretty awesome...i'm writing late cuz our teachers are on strike for 3 weeks.

2. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

20 years ago

yea, the Accent soprano's pretty awesome. You're pretty lucky to get it. I just bought a YTS62II, I'm pretty lucky, (I'm in Eighth Grade) Just a good word of mind with the sop, please don't march with it, it sounds horrible. be tough and march w/ your tenor. lol. Thanks.

2. by karebear1012
        (395 posts)

20 years ago

hey mike. wow, glad i actually helped! lol. um...yeah i'll email you, but i can only use my mom's email, and she reads them. so itz gotta be about saxes n stuff k? cya, Kara

1. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

hey redsax, what's your emai? my comp is all skrewed up. sorry. kara

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

wow sq works as a dating service. Now i feel kinda cheated that I only met Spike from here...

3. by Redsax
          (27 posts)

20 years ago

chiamac...i don't date yet, so kara is safe...besides, my mom reads mine all the time. kara...my e-mail is [email protected] mom's e-mail address, but for now it's mine too. thanks, kara,I thought I scared you off. if you go to my profile, it'll have an address where you can see me on my old Jupiter...will get photos of me and my latest saxes soon.

4. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

"chiamac...i don't date yet, so kara is safe..." hahaa Redsax, that wasn't even my point...

5. by Redsax
          (27 posts)

20 years ago

sorry, I guess I missed your point, chiamac... feel free to let me know when I've not made a fool of myself.

6. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

chiamac..sorry but if you read my profile, you know that i already have a boyfriend who i'm not planning to break up wif (we've been together for 1 year and a half). redsax and i are just friends. mike, ill email ya k? just keep in mind that i share my email with my mom too. kara

7. by Redsax
          (27 posts)

20 years ago

gee willikers...i'm only 13, i'm not in high school, and i don't see what the fuss is about me wanting to talk to another sax player who happens to be my age. Kara, you can write if you feel like it, but it'd be nice to see how you are doing.our teachers are on strike here and it's boring. i'm on rubanks advanced and treble clef rhythms complete---my private instructor says i'm a great technical player but i need to get my timing better. By the way, Kara, the Accent is really great, has a light action,and sounds great...the only difference between playing that and my tenor is that i have to remember not to blow too hard, you have to control your breathing more on the sop if you want a better sound.I'm getting used to it though...lol. I don't mind your mom looking at my messages, or anyone else, for that matter.it's cool...

8. by Redsax
          (27 posts)

20 years ago

by the way, Tenor, our high school marching band starts at 9th grade :-( so I have a couple of years to worry about that, but the tenor will always be my steady, and the soprano will be on occasion. Sops are better suited for Jazz anyway, and as soon as the teachers go back to work I'll get to play in the High School Jazz band even though I'm still in middle school. Not a bad gig, eh?

9. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

20 years ago

yea, our's does too, but in the spring we sorta march at cedar point and our city's memorial day parade. We're really bad, but we have fun. That's really cool how you get to play in the HS Jazz Band. We have a MS jazz band, but it doesn't really get the jazz technique or style, we play stuff in the same style as concert. (we have a couple who don't) Yea, jazz sopranos are way better than marching ones. lol. Thanks.

10. by Redsax
          (27 posts)

20 years ago

Our High School Band does the Cedar Point thing in the Spring too...I'm from PA...where are you, tenor? i tried to e-mail ya but it came back...Mike PS...there's always a couple of people in each band that should have taken chorus instead...lolololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

Heya! let's see..my comp is totally messed up so the email n everything is down., sorry. Anyway, i'm on rubanks advanced method vol. 2, lennie nehause intermediate jazz conception, and some Voxman book. I've been playing sax for like 2 years, but the trumpet is my main instrument (i've been playing for like 5 years). kewl mike, ur from pa? im from ma. lol, ur so lucky you're outta school for 3 weeks! anyway, i do everything i can that involves music. i do concert band, HS marching band, HS jazz band, summer bands, lessons, etc. everyone thinks i'm weird lol. cya, kara

12. by Redsax
          (27 posts)

20 years ago

yeah, i'm weird too...why else would a kid my age get so hung up about saxes? i go to music camp in the summer, practice for an hour each day, take priv lessons on top of that...guess it's paying off, though. My band director has "plans" for me...gee maybe I should tell her I'm moving to Texas before I go into High School. She wants me to go to Drum Major Camp and to some workshops in NYC at The New School---if only my parents had more money---oh well, cest la vive. At least I'm getting experience doing what I 'm doing now.

13. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

cool, what music camp do you go to? my parents have been looking into one for me. yeah, i wanna be a drum major, but i'm only a freshman so i can't yet. i love the saxophone, but i might actually want to do more on the trumpet. i dunno....everyone thinks i'm so weird because my life revolves around music lol. my music theory class is awesome, but it has a ton of these senior drum bums (the type that wear all black, and have every possible body part pierced...) ooh, hey, this doesnt really have to do with sax, but you should go to IOSF (the soulfest) this summer. we've been going for 3 years and it's awesome. one of the people there said i might be able to do a sax solo during the intermission! yeah, even if you can't go to NYC cuz of money, it seems like you're getting pretty good experience at home. get yourself a really good sax teacher, and he/she will really help you out. my teacher is awesome. he's played for the temptations and stuff. you should definately invest in a really good teacher. cya, kara

14. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

20 years ago

Hi. I'm in MI. You guys are lucky you're out east, there's more oppurtunities out there to get better. I don't know about out east, but around here, Interlochen is the best music camp, with Blue Lake as a close second. I've been to Blue Lake, and it's definitely a good choice. Mike, you can email me at [email protected], the one listed was my old address. Thanks again

15. by Redsax
          (27 posts)

20 years ago

cool Tenor, thanks..could use some "pen" pals..i'm going nuts not going to school right now with the teachers strike and it's really awesome finding other sax geeks to talk to. will write soon...since you're on yahoo too, you can see photos of me with my old Jupiter.Mom took pictures of me yesterday with the new ones, so when those come back, she'll put those on the web too. you can even i.m.me. talk to you soon, gotta practice now. Mike

16. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

looks like i'm out of this pen pal club thing.=( alright thats cool cya. kara

17. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

20 years ago

hey, Kara's still included! Get a yahoo sn. www.yahoo.com They're free, and you get lots of cool stuff with it: an email, messenger, photos, games. The coolest part about yahoo, is their music service, Launch. For free you create your own radio station and customize it. Mine's like all jazz sax with bird, rollins, and coltrane and all of the great sax players. It's really cool. If you get a yahoo address, be sure to tell mike and I! -Leslie

18. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

i would if i could..my comp is totally messed up=(. but thanks anyway leslie. today we had our first football game (i'm in marching band). it totally sucked, but we have awesome uniforms, lol. my school spent 45,000 bux on rain coats, jackets, real marching pants, hats, and shoes that all have our town's logo and colors. it's awesome! we did a half time show with the pirates of the caribbean music!

19. by Redsax
          (27 posts)

20 years ago

Pirates of The Caribbean? That's so awesome! Cool movie...Kara, don't worry, we are all friends, and eventually everything works out. You me and Leslie are like the three musketeers or a ham sandwch...guess who's the ham,lol. Anyway, I'm totally envious that you get to play in marching band. me? i have the pleasure of sitting n with the high school band in the bleachers during home games...they gave me a polo shirt to wear. It's a bit large for me, but my mom says the way i'm eating, i'll probably fill it out before the season's over,lol. tough being a guy, they want you to eat, then they complain when you do...lol. Have fun in church, Kara. Hope your sop thing goes the way you want it. Leslie...great talking to you...will talk again. Mom thinks it's cool that you and I got to talk and it didn't cost her a dime...guess her money is limited due to the fact that she bought me 2 saxophones in a week...lol. TC--Mike

20. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

how did it work that you're 13 and in 7th grade? i'm in 9th. that's confusing lol. yeah, well i'm sure you'll be in marching band when you get to high school too. its tough to play a male-dominated instrument. especially for me since im only a freshman. do you play any sports or anything?

21. by Redsax
          (27 posts)

20 years ago

I started kindergarten at age 5, turned 6 that same November. I will be 13 November 1st. My first girlfriend(she moved away) plays trombone at her new school, and she's really good (she's first chair this year). I don't think dominance should have anything to with keeping you from being the best you can be. For many years, guys played all the instruments, even the ones that girls play mostly now. My dad' cousin plays and teaches Flute at UCONN. She told me that men used to be the ones who played flute and harp, now it's mostly women. Alot of people now think that if a guy plays flute in a marching band that he's well, you know. To me it doesn't matter...as long as you are good at what you do. And to others, it shouldn't matter who is playing what, as long as it's music to their ears.(mom put that in) I bowl, but that's it for league sports...the rest is play, you know? My momdoesn't believe in the Little League/ Soccer/ PeeWee football teams,and I've never been too keen on getting yelled at by a guy three times bigger than me because he's lost bragging rights. Iknow I will be the best at what I CAN do, because I will work hard to be the best at what I want to do...and that is to play music. TTuL8r...M

22. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

wow i like you lol. not many guys will admit stuff like that. it's pretty cool that you can. yeah, many people think i'm a tomboy because i play the trumpet and the sax, and i'd rather be in marching band than be a cheerleader. so i got into modeling a year ago, but it was soo boring, so i just stopped. i also just stopped caring about other people's opinions. i guess that's why i started going out with my bf...he saw past my reputation. he's a christian, which helped too. kewl you gotta november bday? i'll be 14 on nov. 16. !! i'm the youngest kid in the high school right now ..i skipped kindergarten. yeah, lots of guys play flute at my school. they're really cool too, so i guess that reputation of not being straight doesn't go at my school. let's see, i play tons of sports. i like to stay in shape. i play lacrosse, basketball, track and field, i used to do field hockey (hurt my back), volleyball, etc. i also swim n stuff. but yeah, i guess the same goes for me too. i'd rather stick to what i can do best, which is make music. i just gotta work on my improvising, lol. cya, kara

23. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

i have my first jazz band rehearsal tomorrow. i'm sooo nervous because i'm lead so i'll get all the solos and stuff. also, everyone's used to me playing in the jazz band on trumpet (i've been in middle school jazz band on that since 5th grade). there's this kid who's gonna be 3rd trumpet who's also a freshman, and he used to make fun of me for playing trumpet because he was first chair and i was second. then he made fun of me because i wanted to audition for HS jazz band on the sax because he thought I sucked. when I got lead, he shut up about it and we became friends, lol. weird how things work out. well anyway, i'm sooo nervous. the girl who got 2nd alto usually hates anyone if they're younger and get better positions. i'm friends witht the tenor players though. and the bari.

24. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

20 years ago

lol Kara, good luck. sry I couldn't respond yesterday, my parents have sunday as their "no tv, no computer, no video games day" I call it my no fun day. I did practice a lot of sax though, that helped. That's pretty cool how you're first alto in hs. i can't do jazz band this year cause I have to do this "advanced" math class : ( . You guys are so lucky. I have chair placements this thurs. Since I'm the only tenor, I have to share a section with our soprano sax player. He has an Accent soprano too, Mike. i really hope I beat that kid, he's sax centered too. Talk to You guys later, -Leslie

25. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

hey hey! jazz band went really well last night! I got a solo in this song harlem nocturne, and it's soo pretty. it's the main melody. actually, i have 3 solos in taht song lol. the trumpet players aren't too good this year..i'm thinkin i shouldve auditioned for trumpet.... well good luck in your chair placement leslie! where's mike? he left us..arg.. im jk mike lol. ttyl, kara

26. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

so what do you think? should i get the selmer reference? i dunno...i haven't tried any yanigasawa horns yet, but my teacher says that they aren't his favorite horn and i could do better with a selmer. I played the keilwerth, and everyone says the TENORS are great, but i play alto and i didn't really like it. arg...what kind of history teacher tells you to write an essay on the simpsons??!?!? lol. that's what i'm doing. high school...oh joy. anyway, what do you guys think? should i go with the reference? let's see, i have a Selmer C* mouthpiece and i usually play on Rico Jazz Select #3 or 3.5 if that makes any difference. cyaaa, kara

27. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

20 years ago

haha, what I would say is go for the Custom Z or EX's, but I can see your not as much of a Yamaha fan as I am. You should definitely try them though. The References are really cool, but I've heard they're the same thing as the Series 3 for a much cheaper price. But references are awesome too. You should definitely try the Yani's, some say the expensive ones blow away the references. Or you could go vintage, but that's a whole nother story. You should get another mouthpiece. If you're going to get a dream horn like that, get like one of those barone mouthpieces for jazz, or a selmer jazz. But, since you're already doing awesome with your C star, changes probably aren't needed. Good Luck with your sax! (where is mike these days?) -Leslie

28. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

lol, i think we've been blown off! yeah, i really liked the yamaha z unlaquered, but i was kinda looking forward to having a horn that plays well and looks good. i like yamaha trumpets (i have one), but i'm not a huge fan of their alto saxophones. yeah, i really liked the reference, and they had one in a really cool bronze color too. my sax teacher said he likes the yani's, but they aren't his favorite. my mom's taking me to Rayburn's Music (which is in Boston across from Symphony Hall), so I can try out some other -phones. it's an hour drive too...arg... lol yeah, i really want a Meyer 5 mouthpiece but i don't think my mom wants to pay 70 bux for another mouthpiece. so i got marching band tonight...we're learning music from Shrek for UMass annual band day (it has bands from all over the east coast). we also have to practice our pirates of the caribbean half time show. ...yay.... i play trumpet in the M.band, and my mouth really hurts right now for some reason so good luck to me lol. so what's up with you? anything goin on? cya, Kara

29. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah, unlacquered saxes don't look or feel very good, but they sure have a nice tone. Your best bet is probably the Reference, I don't know much about them though, I never could even touch the 4300 price on tenor. It's a good thing that altos are cheaper, lol. Boston, eh? The farthest out east I've ever been was to DC, it was pretty cool. lol, in school we're learning about boston : the boston massacre and the boston tea party, and all that stuff.. I had to drive like 3 hours to indiana to get my new tenor. Nowhere in Lower MI was there someplace to try pro horns other than cannonball. My teacher strongly encouraged me to stay away from them. That's cool. Last year we played music from shrek for our spring concert, it was pretty awesome. That's great how you play both brass and wwinds. I could never get that brass buzzing thing. Nothing much is happening around here. I have chair placements tomorrow, and I'm probably going to the Ryder Cup saturday. We have these really cool tickets that are sorta like VIP tickets, so I'm pretty excited. talk to you later, -Leslie

30. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

yeah, the buzzing isn't really taht hard on trumpet. like, i can buzz WITH a mouthpiece, but i can't buzz without one. yup, boston. this Umass band day thing is this saturday. i have to be at the school by 6:15 in the morning!! ahh!! it takes like 2 hours just to get there, and we'll get home at like 7 PM. longgg day... our concert band does the MICCA festival and the jazz band does IAJE. they're all awesome. we also travel out of state for performances every other year. well good luck on chair placements! and have fun at the ryder cup!! cya, kara

31. by Redsax
          (27 posts)

20 years ago

I haven't blown you off...I've been doing stuff with friends while the teachers are still on strike. I had bell choir practice tuesday night, lessons yesterday, today I cut two lawns and made 70.00, all in the name of my future. But that's okay. I mean, you ladies go ahead... think of me as one of those love 'em and dump 'em types, please---I could use a reputation like that...lol. Kara, as for what tenor to play---Kenilworth is supposed to be good...is it going to be your primary instrument, or are you gonna keep switching from trumpet to saxophone---if you are going to stick with the sax, get the best you can afford. You know how I feel...vintage is the way to go...unless your director is anal about the finish in marching band. If looks are more important to the director,then he's not going to care how it sounds more than you and vice versa. You're just lucky that you get to play...me? I get to wait until a bunch of idiots decide mine and my sister's educational future...Sorry...I'm just so angry about this. Going to bed...Hey Leslie, did you see my photo yet? Bye ---Mike

32. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

lol, i'm jk...now you made me feel bad lol. um...i don't play tenor. i play alto and soprano. well tomorrow i got Umass band day, so i wont be home. but yea, i tried keilwerth and the alto had some tuning problems. so what's goin on?

33. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

um, yeah, i'm gonna keep switiching between trumpet and sax. right now i do sax in jazz band, and trumpet in marching and concert band. i also take private lessons. i already have a really good yamaha trumpet (i love it), but i have absolutely no idea what pro sax i should get. i really liked the selmer reference but lots of people are telling me i can do better. but then my trumpet teacher just told me that instrument choice is a personal desicion and choice..so arrggg...im so confused. so why are your teachers on strike? i actually like school this year...the middle school stunk because it was so old n stuff but we have a huge brand new high school, and i love it!! so much more freedom and people to be friends with. the middle school was only grades 7 and 8. well i g2g. cya kara

34. by saxacious
          (2 posts)

20 years ago

I'd say a Selmer Paris pro model would be great. My sis just got one and it's awesum.

3. by saxacious
        (2 posts)

20 years ago

I don't mean to intrude on your convo or n e thing but I just wanna say that I'm completely jealous. I've played sax for about 3 years now.(I'm in 8th grade)in 6th i played a Bundy 2 alto sax,in 7th I played a Selmer Bari sax(which was cool), and now I'm playing the bassoon. I want to learn how to play all the instruments (I really love music) but my mom won't let me switch anymore. I've always wanted to play a soprano sax but I can't. So I wish u happy playing.

1. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

do you want to play brass instruments too? one way to learn all the instruments is to join the marching band and simply ask if you can try out a trumpet or a tuba or something. trumpet is my main instrument, and i love it. it's really hard though, don't get me wrong. when i started sax like 2 years ago i thought it was the easiest thing in the world compared to trumpet. i guess that helped me get lead in the jazz band. soprano sax is awesome, but lots of people say that it'll effect your tone on your other saxes. i have a soprano, but my director won't let me play it because he doesn't want me to mess up my tone on alto. so i have umass band day today. it was POURING RAIN! lol, we were in a stupid hurricane (leftovers from frances). the entrance to the b-room was flooded, so it was really hard to get there. cya, and good luck saxacious, kara

1. by tenor562
            (297 posts)

20 years ago

Yea, saxophone is very easy, even to the clarinet. It even sounds better, feels better, and is more fun to play. Yea, selmer paris is a good way to go, just don't go Selmer USA, sounds totally different. I've heard of people who make their students warm up on soprano because it improves your tone on alto or tenor. Welcome to our forum, saxacious! Talk to you guys later.

1. by karebear1012
              (395 posts)

20 years ago

yeah. i've had experience on like a ton of instruments, and sax is easier than pretty much all of them. from my experience, sax is easier than trumpet, french horn, all brass in general, violin, guitar, clarinet, flue, piccolo, piano, and percussion. that's probably why i stuck with it too lol. soprano makes your tone improve??!?!? wow, i heard it makes it worse. i dunno, maybe i'm wrong. my band director told me i couldn't play it yet because he doesn't want me to hurt my playing in jazz band. i like tenor, but i absolutely love alto. i dunno why, i usually like the bigger instruments. well i g2g ttyl, kara

2. by PianoJH
            (1 post)

20 years ago

I have played, well just about everything, and I have played (and own) Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bari. My favourite(favorite) alto is my Yamaha Custom. I give Yamaha two thumb up on their saxes. However, I have a Selmer Super Action 80, Series II Soprano. I have to say that I do love it. Just remember in whatever sax you buy, the soprano is a saxophone, not a clarinet, therefore you must play it like a saxophone. What I mean is: it is a bit more difficult to keep a soprano in 'tune' than the other saxophones. Keep the mouthpiece perpindicular to your mouth just as you do any other sax (whereas in a clarinet it is angled down). This helps your control and of course makes you in tune and not all over the place. Was I at all helpful?? lol

1. by karebear1012
              (395 posts)

20 years ago

whoa, i never thought of that while playing my soprano lol. thanks! wow, i officially hate being lead sax in the jazz band. my director was like "Kara, if you're going to be the chair, you're going to have to play all the right notes and rhythms when no one else is." arggg.... and then when a tenor player would mess up or something it would be MY fault!!! it sucks... and when he talks to the saxophones, he looks and speaks to me. it's as if i was the one who messed up or something. so yeah..there ya have it. lol. i'm so used to being 2nd chair on trumpet and itz so hard for me to be lead now. my director also gave us these realy hard songs and expected us to site read them perfectly. it's also kinda intiminating for me being with all upperclassmen. there's only like 1 other freshman in the jazz band and he's a trumpet player. so i have marching band on wednesday, and a FB game on sunday. it's freeeezing outside already... hey hey, my bday is coming up. i'm almost 14!! yeah yeah.! i'm the youngest kid in the whole high school and it really sux, so now it won't seem like i'm the youngest cuz ill be 14. lol cya, kara

1. by Redsax
                (27 posts)

20 years ago

Hey everyone...sorry I haven't been on for a few days.Kara, I'm sorry...I guess I got you and Leslie mixed up there,lol. Everything is ok now, this past weekend our power went out including the modem on my puter, so Dad got me another one. There's been a lot of flooding in our area cuz of Ivan the Terrible...streets, houses, everything...it looks awful and I'm in PA...I hate to think of the people living in Alabama and Florida. My Dad at least is getting a lot of overtime...just in time for my and my sister's birthdays--lol. Kara, don't let anyone intimidate you. You didn't get where you are by looking at clouds or wishing on stars, you did it by your hard work. Remember: Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration...you keep doing what your heart tells you to do and don't let anyone keep you from your ambitions. I think your teacher is trying to psych you out. Sometimes you got to eat liver before you can eat ice cream, so swallow hard and take it down...then your teacher will realize that he can't get to you, and will most likely admire you for your strength. Saxilicious and Pianojh you are welcome here anytime. Leslie...where are you? See ya later on...Mike

1. by karebear1012
                  (395 posts)

20 years ago

oh, you got flooding too? i'm in MA and there were floods too..i just happened to be OUTSIDE marching at a Umass football game. lol...oh joy... yeah, my director doesn't like me very much. it seems like he sees me as the "little freshman" who's younger than normal freshmen, and doesnt stand a chance in jazz band. its almost as if he's kinda jealous of me in a way..but i guess taht's not possible. it really sux for me though. ooooh my bday is coming up. .what are yall gonna get me? lol. nov 16. dont forget=) cya, kara

2. by Redsax
                  (27 posts)

20 years ago

mine's nov.1---mom calls me her pumpkinhead...i know, but i have orange hair and i was born the day after halloween. guess it could be worse...she could've called me "jack" instead of mike...lol. kara...how about how about an imaginary hammer to knock some sense into your teacher's nonexistent brain. It's the gift that keeps on giving and is better than a fruit cake at christmastime. TTL...PS everyone...finally school starts Tuesday, however the teachers could go on strike again after only being the classroom for two days. this stinks to heaven...wishing strikes were outlawed. TTFN---Mike

3. by karebear1012
                  (395 posts)

20 years ago

lol pumpkinhead. let's see..i guess i cant be called that cuz i got brown hair. so my conductor and i are getting along better now. he's a really great person outside of jazz band...and i even might get 1st chair on trumpet in band this year!!! the seniors finally gave in and admitted that i was better lol. so why are your teachers on strike? my teachers are sooo young this year. they're like 25 yrs! it's pretty cool though. oooh, my mom took me to Rayburn's music yesterday (in Boston), but they just had a huge sale and they're moving to another building, so they were all out of the selmer reference (which is the horn i'm probably going to get). at French's music, where i take lessons, they have a bronze one that plays awesome, but it had some leaks in it and it cost over 4000 bux, so my mom found it for 3000 online at www.wwbw.com. that's wehre we're gonna get it i think. cyaa, kara

4. by tenor562
                  (297 posts)

20 years ago

WWBW is a great place to buy horns. I bought my clarinet and tenor over there. Just don't visit their store on the weekends, it's really crowded. I have to go, I'll respond more tomorrow, see you -Leslie

5. by karebear1012
                  (395 posts)

20 years ago

lol maybe i'll get you a classroom for your bday. jk. whoa, sounds like your teachers get it pretty good. some of the teachers that go to my school are reallly mean to us because they're jealous of our school system. i have no clue why. it's a great school and all, but there's no reason to be jealous. but whatever. where's wwbw's store leslie? so i have a fb game to go to tomorrow morning for marching band. aw dang, i left my trumpet at school...omg it might be locked!!! arg..another reason for my conductor to hate me lol. well i g2g cya, kara

6. by tenor562
                  (297 posts)

20 years ago

Their store is in South Bend Indiana. Great store, even though it's way out of your way. I went down there to test tenors once, it was really cool. It's like 3.5 hours away from me, so I always do their phone order thing. You can try horns as long as you want, and they have a huge stock. They mostly have guitars and drums and rock band stuff displayed, but they have the most saxes I've ever seen at a store too. I get all my reeds and accesories there too, they seem to have the best prices, especially with their price matching program. that would really stink if it was locked, lol, I doubt he'll hate you. g2g, ttyl -Leslie

7. by karebear1012
                  (395 posts)

20 years ago

oh jeez, he already does hate me lol. i miss my director from middle school...she was amazing. because of her, our jazz band had 4 straight gold medals, and our band had all silvers. this year we're gonna stink. yeah, it would be great to go there. have you ever heard of rayburn's music? there's one in boston and one in new york. the one in boston is usually awesome, but they're moving to a new place, so they didn't have much when i went. you should check out their website. it's really cool. cya, kara