Saxophone Forum

by Just Jazz
(1 post)
14 years ago

Etude books

Does anyone know of any really good Etude books for sax players? I know Trumpets got one. What's good?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SuperSax875
    (55 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Etude books

I really like the 12 Etudes and Caprices by Bozza. Pretty hand but really really fun. Mule's 53 Etudes comes in 3 volumes and they're challenging as well. The 18 Exercises after Berbiguier by Mule is really popular and is pretty fun too. They sound much harder than they really are, anyone listening thinks your a genius! Some people like the Ferling 48 Studies. If you need something a bit easier try the Klose 25 Daily Exercises or the Larry Teal Saxophonist'ss Workbook.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

14 years ago

twenty seven virtuoso studies for saxophone or oboe by L. Bassi transcribed by Gerado Iasilli is an excellent book. theres an altissimo book by rousseau im going to start soon that seems good. um... crap, what was the other.... bah, cant remember. think it was a ferling of some sort, had etudes in all 12 major keys and their relative minors. good book

Reply To Post

1. by saxandbassplayer
        (42 posts)

14 years ago

The 48 Ferling etudes is a great book for any serious player. The book is really nice and special because it's a book that extensively deals with ornamentation (not a common thing for books, and there should be more). If those are too difficult, the David Hite melodious etudes are a great start as well. After those, the Berbiguer is a great book to go to (technically not difficult, and does a lot of great work with voicing). From there the Mule 53 etudes (books 1-3) are both challenging and wonderful etudes. After those we can get into more difficult etudes like the Piazzolla Tango Etudes, Mule's Etudes Variees, Londeix's Nouvelles Etudes (altissimo included), Karg-Elert's book (24 Caprices and an Atonal Sonata). And if you get through all of these and REALLY need something to sink your teeth in, there's always the Lauba books... but those are very difficult, borderline scary books. If you're really wanting to get into saxophone (maybe pursue it in college) I would also recommend picking up "Hello! Mr Sax", which is a text by londeix. Although it isn't an etude book, it's one of the more useful references I've ever had for saxophone. Along with the traditional "The Art of Saxophone", which has some really insightful things, and can help you with reed work too. Hope I was helpful! Any more questions?

Reply To Post

2. by burlettnj1
      (1 post)

14 years ago

The Iasilli etude books (1 and 2) are both very good, I agree..also, I started out playing the Universal Method for Saxophone by Carl Fisher. To me, that book is the one of the best for sax players. Scales, orchestral excerpts, etudes, solos. Some of the stuff isn't very hard, but some stuff towards the end are tough

Reply To Post