Saxophone Forum

by flo_boysax
(5 posts)
14 years ago

P Mauriat Vs. Conn 6m "Naked Lady"

I'm looking to buy a new sax and trying to decide which is a better buy. My budget is about 2000-2500. I've heard good things about PM and about the Naked lady. I found a 1953 6m Naked Lady for 1200 but worry if it would survive giggin every week, due to its age. The Pm, I've heard lot of good things about. But, Im wondering if it's worth paying 800-1500 more. Any opinions will help. Thank you.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by flo_boysax
    (5 posts)

14 years ago

Re: P Mauriat Vs. Conn 6m "Naked Lady"

Did a some searching around and I'm starting to wonder if that Conn i found is legit. Serial starts with 356, doesn't say what letter it starts with. Its a craigslist posting. Is it even a "Naked Lady"?

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

14 years ago

yes, its a 6m, but its after they began to cheapen them by taking off the rolled tone holes and microtuner. If you are going to buy a sax, play it before you buy it. especially with vintage horns, they vary a lot between horns. new ones do too, so try everything. if youre going to try and find a good 6m, find one from the early to mid 40's or a 26m

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

14 years ago

An older horn in good condition will hold up to weekly gigging just fine. Like Cuber says, you really need to try before making a decision, as a 6M is a very different animal from most anything out there. I think you could do better on price too. 1200 is pretty steep unless it's in really good shape.

Reply To Post

2. by flo_boysax
      (5 posts)

14 years ago

Alright guys, thanks for the input. Looks like I'm gonna have to settle for a vintage horn, my budget got cut down to around 1500. Any suggestions for horns in that price range?

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
        (396 posts)

14 years ago

Martin ("The Martin") is a very nice alternative, also Buescher, but the best one of the bunch for me is the 6M (even better than my mk. VI). Bottom line, you should play some horns and decide what suits you best- it's the only way to know for sure.

Reply To Post

3. by flo_boysax
      (5 posts)

14 years ago

thanks francis and cuber. appreciate the input. now the hard part, finding somewhere where i can try out some of those horns.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

14 years ago

My 6M is a great player, and is of similar age, 327XXX. Of course, each horn is different, so if you can try the Craig's List one, it may be good. (Mine is not for sale, because I believe it's worth more than anyone would pay for it!)

Reply To Post

1. by blackfrancis
          (396 posts)

14 years ago

The hard part? I find that the hunt is the fun part! (Dare I call it the SAXQUEST???) Best of luck and do let us know the outcome.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
            (930 posts)

14 years ago

I would prefer the Conn!!!
            Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by MartinMods
            (63 posts)

14 years ago

Kelsey, What about the Wurlitzer's and the Old's (inexpensive Martin stencils)? I just missed a Lyric Custom alto.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by kelsey
            (930 posts)

14 years ago

You are right on!! The Wurlitzer (Martin made) is the best deal out there that I've played.
            Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM