Saxophone Forum

by Fiona
(8 posts)
14 years ago

A Conn or two

My first question is in relation to a Conn that has what looks like shooting stars engraved on it. It has two lots of numbers on it the first is quite deeply engraved on the back of the bell is "N 54654" then much smaller, underneath that, is "NE 2100". It also looks like it was made for a left handed player with some of the keys on the bell on the opposite side than usual. The second question is in relation to another Conn "20M" with the numbers" 4010669 ". No engraving on the bell other than that. It is in a bit of a bad way, with the finish being bubbled and cracked in some places, and rusted on one side of the bell with no finish left to see, in that spot, or on the opening of the bell on one side also. Apparently it was in the basement of a house that was flooded. The case was ruined and the water was left to start eating away at the instrument itself. It looks like quite a funky sax "except for the sad looking bits". Can anyone tell me anymore about these two Conn's. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Right down to weather the water damaged one is worth rescuing. Kind regards. Fiona. :)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cuber
    (653 posts)

14 years ago

Re: A Conn or two

its worth keeping. The first one is a conn "directors" model, also referred to as a "shooting star" the earlier ones are pretty decent. Though methinks yours was made in Nogles, NM. (cant remember serial number charts for that model) Im drawing a blank on the 20M, cant remember a damn thing about it. except its worth keeping.

Reply To Post

1. by Fiona
      (8 posts)

14 years ago

I have two budding young sax players, a 12 year old boy and my daughter is turning 11 soon. We picked both sax's up second hand at the begining of last year(09). The "shooting star" has had to work quite hard this year! The 20M came to us in a sad way but was playable enough for what we thought would be a short lived bit of fun. As it turned out both the children have done quite well and chose to stick with sax for a second year, further to that, they were both then selected to play in the school band. (Says the proud mum). Unfortunately the 20M didn't see out the end of last year. A key fell off. It is a lovely sax but really needs some TLC. Especially since the two children are both continuing to play, both in small group lessons, and school band as well. Not the easiest for both to performe with only one sax to play. Can someone give me a guessterment as to what it will cost to have the 20M fixed and cleaned up? Do you have an idea of the value of either of these sax's? Just to settle my own curiosity as to what the children are carrying around with them! Thanks cuber for your feedback. Anything further from anyone is greatly appreciated. Regards Fiona. :) P.S Sorry about the small book. :)

Reply To Post

1. by Fiona
        (8 posts)

14 years ago

Forgot to ask in last bit! Duffa! What would the age of these two sax's be; even approx. Or is that asking a bit much with out a pic? Thanks again Fiona. I am a duffa. ;)

Reply To Post