Saxophone Forum

by jazzcat522
(21 posts)
4 years ago

need help picking a tenor mouthpiece

hey guys! i need some help choosing a tenor mouthpiece, i know what sound i want but want to see if i could purchase a tenor piece that would be ok with out breaking the bank. i current play in a jj dv for alto and love it. that is the type of sound im going for, bright, loud and edgy, definitely a more modern and contemporary sound. i have tried the beechler bellite on alto and its ok but i have not tried the dukoff and was planning on doing so. I am planning on buying a metal piece. also i saw a gurdala metal piece in wwbw, does anybody have any input on these mp? and again this is for a tenor mouthpiece anybody have any suggestions? or advise? thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

4 years ago

Re: need help picking a tenor mouthpiece

I think a Guardala would be a good fit for the sound you are looking for. I don't think you will have any luck with the Dukoff - the old Hollywood model is a very good mouthpiece but can cost quite a bit of money. Also look at - Brancher, Beechler, ARB and Runyon

Reply To Post

1. by jazzcat522
      (21 posts)

4 years ago

hmmm...i have heard many great thing of the guardala mp but not the designer, nevertheless if michael brecker used one i think i owe it to my self to try one...i have read that the way they make them now is not by hand but by laser trim regardless i still have heard great things about them so here is the big question which one should i try/buy the guardala studio, superking, of the hybrid of michael brecker mp(mbII) any suggestions wille be greatly appreaciate it...also does anybody know what the tip opening is on these guardalas i have tried to look for them but cant seem to find these specs

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (815 posts)

4 years ago

I play a Guardala MBII tenor mouth piece, also a King Guardala for tenor. I got both mouthpieces from Woodwind and Brasswind. I paid full price before the prices went down. The designer I've heard is presently in jail!! The MBII's bite plate fell out and I lost the plastic piece. I tried to get it fixed at WW&BW but didn't have much luck with their customer service. It's a good mouthpiece but the bite plate thing didn't make me a happy camper. Of the two mouthpieces I am playing on the King and like it just fine. It get's the contemporary sound that you mentioned.
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by jazzcat522
          (21 posts)

4 years ago

yeah i heard about him going to jail too, i was trying to steer away from that subject as i know many in the sax community have had sour experiences with him. but on another note i thank you for your post kelsey...your previous posts help me find my current mp for my alto which i am very pleased with so thanks alot! so i wanted to know what is your experience with the king do you have the silver or gold plated? do you think that makes a difference in sound? and im a little worried about the tip opening i found that the king is about 120 and the super king is 125...i was going to give the super king a try but much rather go with the king after reading your post. What has been your experice with the king's tip opening do you feel that it is a bit extreme, just needs time to get used to , or just feels right from the first time you played it. Also what size reeds are you using with this piece? and does i know these mp are supposed to be bright and loud but do they still retain their bottom end or is it just a thin sounding mp? thanks!

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
          (815 posts)

4 years ago

I play a gold plated King Guardala mouthpiece. I use Rico Jazz 2m reeds. My horn is a Mark VI, it's a dark sounding horn. Useing the King gives me the sound I want for be-bop, big band and some contemporary. If you like the DV for alto the Super King might be a better choice for you.........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by jazzcat522
          (21 posts)

4 years ago

looks like ill be giving the super king a try, thanks kelsey!

Reply To Post

4. by thesaxman06
          (4 posts)

4 years ago

I like the Peter Ponzol pieces. I play on his new stainless steel M2 110 with 3 1/4 Gonzales reeds.

Reply To Post

5. by kelsey
          (815 posts)

4 years ago

Update as far as the Guardala King mouthpiece I played before on my tenor. I have changed to a Jody DV 7* and believe I've found the Holy Grail.....~*
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM