Saxophone Forum

by jazzcat522
(21 posts)
14 years ago

need help picking a tenor mouthpiece

hey guys! i need some help choosing a tenor mouthpiece, i know what sound i want but want to see if i could purchase a tenor piece that would be ok with out breaking the bank. i current play in a jj dv for alto and love it. that is the type of sound im going for, bright, loud and edgy, definitely a more modern and contemporary sound. i have tried the beechler bellite on alto and its ok but i have not tried the dukoff and was planning on doing so. I am planning on buying a metal piece. also i saw a gurdala metal piece in wwbw, does anybody have any input on these mp? and again this is for a tenor mouthpiece anybody have any suggestions? or advise? thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

14 years ago

Re: need help picking a tenor mouthpiece

I think a Guardala would be a good fit for the sound you are looking for. I don't think you will have any luck with the Dukoff - the old Hollywood model is a very good mouthpiece but can cost quite a bit of money. Also look at - Brancher, Beechler, ARB and Runyon

Reply To Post

1. by jazzcat522
      (21 posts)

14 years ago

hmmm...i have heard many great thing of the guardala mp but not the designer, nevertheless if michael brecker used one i think i owe it to my self to try one...i have read that the way they make them now is not by hand but by laser trim regardless i still have heard great things about them so here is the big question which one should i try/buy the guardala studio, superking, of the hybrid of michael brecker mp(mbII) any suggestions wille be greatly appreaciate it...also does anybody know what the tip opening is on these guardalas i have tried to look for them but cant seem to find these specs

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

14 years ago

I play a Guardala MBII tenor mouth piece, also a King Guardala for tenor. I got both mouthpieces from Woodwind and Brasswind. I paid full price before the prices went down. The designer I've heard is presently in jail!! The MBII's bite plate fell out and I lost the plastic piece. I tried to get it fixed at WW&BW but didn't have much luck with their customer service. It's a good mouthpiece but the bite plate thing didn't make me a happy camper. Of the two mouthpieces I am playing on the King and like it just fine. It get's the contemporary sound that you mentioned.
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by jazzcat522
          (21 posts)

14 years ago

yeah i heard about him going to jail too, i was trying to steer away from that subject as i know many in the sax community have had sour experiences with him. but on another note i thank you for your post kelsey...your previous posts help me find my current mp for my alto which i am very pleased with so thanks alot! so i wanted to know what is your experience with the king do you have the silver or gold plated? do you think that makes a difference in sound? and im a little worried about the tip opening i found that the king is about 120 and the super king is 125...i was going to give the super king a try but much rather go with the king after reading your post. What has been your experice with the king's tip opening do you feel that it is a bit extreme, just needs time to get used to , or just feels right from the first time you played it. Also what size reeds are you using with this piece? and does i know these mp are supposed to be bright and loud but do they still retain their bottom end or is it just a thin sounding mp? thanks!

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

I play a gold plated King Guardala mouthpiece. I use Rico Jazz 2m reeds. My horn is a Mark VI, it's a dark sounding horn. Useing the King gives me the sound I want for be-bop, big band and some contemporary. If you like the DV for alto the Super King might be a better choice for you.........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by jazzcat522
          (21 posts)

14 years ago

looks like ill be giving the super king a try, thanks kelsey!

Reply To Post

4. by thesaxman06
          (4 posts)

13 years ago

I like the Peter Ponzol pieces. I play on his new stainless steel M2 110 with 3 1/4 Gonzales reeds.

Reply To Post

5. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

13 years ago

Update as far as the Guardala King mouthpiece I played before on my tenor. I have changed to a Jody DV 7* and believe I've found the Holy Grail.....~*
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM