Saxophone Forum

by Altonian11
(39 posts)
14 years ago

Tenor Sax... Cecilio?

Hello All, I'm a young saxophonist with quite a bit of experience. I recently joined a rock band and have found myself needing a tenor sax to accompany my alto, soprano, and bari. The tenor seems to be the ideal sax for rock music. It has the perfect range, unfortunately it is the one sax I do not own. I've been looking at Yamaha tenor saxes. I know they are the best of the best and a YTS- 62II would be my first choice. But it's just so darn pricy!! I discovered this cheaper brand called Cecilio. Looks legitimate to me, but i need more opinions. thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by trumpettech
    (1 post)

10 years ago

Re: Tenor Sax... Cecilio?

I reccommend Chateau Saxes.  I've shopped for the best saxophones for the dollar, and they've been the best I've seen so far, but there is one problem.  They don't play straight out of the box.  You have to have them set up.  I set them up here in my shop and am a dealer.  If you're interested I'll sell you one for a competitive price.  They have six different quality levels of instrument, so I'll need to know how much saxophone you want to buy.  I currently have 4 models of tenor sax in stock, so I'll need input on how much you can spend.  
    I see PMauriat advertising on this site.  I think they are great, just a bit overpriced for the amount of instrument you're buying.  The Chateau is about 1/2 or less the price of a similar horn from anyone else, and saxes is all that they do well.

Reply To Post

2. by SuperSax875
    (55 posts)

14 years ago

First off, there is absolutely no best of the best. End of story. Second, I have a Cecilio soprano thats done me alright, but it is of no comparison to something like a Yamaha. They are what you pay for. Personally, I'd say play your alto or bari until you can afford a better horn that a Cecilio.

Reply To Post

3. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

14 years ago

I'm sure you're very experienced. I'm also sure any servicable R&B player could rock plenty hard on alto. Yamahas are not the best of the best. They are generally very responsive, even sounding horns with a consistant scale. Celilio so far as I've seen is an Ebay brand that will fall apart in a week if what they send you is even a saxophone. If you want a loud, "rock-y" tenor, get a Keilwerth or a Conn 10M.

Reply To Post

4. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

14 years ago

I would think for the prices they even charge for Cecilio saxes you would get a decent instrument. I've heard this isn't the case!! Play your alto and save up your money for a YTS 62II. The Yamaha isn't the perfect axe but it will last more than a lifetime. I've played them and one of them would be my choice of tenors if my Mark Vl weren't around. I'd buy one because the new Selmers, though better, are so overpriced and vintage horns are too high maintenance..........Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

5. by Altonian11
    (39 posts)

14 years ago

Thank you for all of the input. And forgive me, as I said i am quite young, and though I have only been playing for 6 years, I have been exposed to a lot in such a short amount of time. However, the only saxophones I have ever played and trusted, are yamahas. I have had poor experiences with both selmer and yanasigawa saxes in the past. One of which ended with me covered in my own saliva due to an unsecured spit valve. However your comments are valid and much appreciated. I look forward to getting a tenor provided I can mow enough lawns. haha

Reply To Post

1. by sushi
      (1 post)

12 years ago

Hi Altonian man,

i saw your post here and it was amazing that you was having the same problem of mine now.  i have an alto saxophone and i'm playing with rock band that i wanna get some tenor saxophone to perform.

I couldn't afford any of known brands of tenor saxophone (Selmer, Yamaha), and while searching i found plenty of colorful cheap saxophones called cecilio, but it seems it's a Chinese low quality mass production saxophone and it's not that cheap also.

SO i wanted to know more about this brand and if does it worth to but it or i can add some hundered dollars to get a reliable saxophone??

What did u get by the end, Cecilio or another tenor ??
      And how is the rock band going with u ??

According to similar circumstances of us, i felt that your experience could be useful to me

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

12 years ago

Cecilio generates all sorts of horror stories.  Many are virtually unplayable out of the box or become that way from things breaking in normal use.  There are stories of tone holes out of round and unlevel, solder joints failing, and poorly fit springs coming loose. 

If you want a good rock&roll horn for cheap, there are some good options in American horns from the 1950s and 60s.  The Conn 10Ms made from the late 1950s on are good rock&roll horns, as are the Conn Director (student model) horns from the late 50s through early 60s.  Later Directors went downhill in quality and durability.  Top dollar should be about a grand for a 10M (from that era) in top condition, a few hundred less for a Director in similar condition.  The Martin Indiana and Imperial are second line horns produced in the 50s and 60s that go for well under a grand.  One guy in the local R&B scene just replaced his Yamaha with an Imperial.  He's in love.

Reply To Post

2. by wesburnham
      (3 posts)

10 years ago

Hi, Im a tenor sax player who just switched from alto to be in a band as well. You might have heard of the band Dave Matthews? Well they have a sax player in their band named Jeff Coffin. I learned a lot by watching his videos. His videos could really help anyone trying to play in a band. He does play a yamaha. But he uses a custom sax made by them. I have been playing for a very long time. I have been using a brand called Cannonball for all my saxes. It is probably one of the nicest saxophones sold in a usual music store. I would majorly suggest going to look at one if possible. I would suggest it to anyone. Even the cannonball student model (Alcazar) is a very nice playing saxophone. If you want to buy a tenor I would seriously wait until you can afford a nice one like a yamaha or Cannonball. For a yamaha i would suggest the intermediate YTS-480 tenor (ranging from the price from 2,000 to 3,000) . It is a great playing sax and for the cannonball i would suggest the Sceptyr Series intermediate (which ranges from 2,200 to 3,000). But Cecilio is kind of a student brand saxophone maker. Their saxophones are honestly made for students just starting out. Hope this helps you out.

Reply To Post

3. by RayH
      (2 posts)

10 years ago

Hi 

This is Hakan Sax from Taiwan.  

Please take a look of the videos perhaps you might find it interesting and meets your requirment.

Video:
      http://youtu.be/LZ1SkcTFYdY

Price: USD 2,300 includding shipping.

We have applied the technology of automobile and cellular paitings on our product lines.  

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Best Regards,
      Hakan Sax
      www.hakansax.com
      FB:https://www.facebook.com/HakanSaxShop 

Reply To Post