Saxophone Forum

by morrissey.benjamin
(2 posts)
14 years ago

Reed suggestions for JJ DV 7* Tenor?

for the last several years I have been trying several different reeds for the vast array of mouthpieces that I own for my tenor (Cannonball Big Bell Global Mad Meg). I Have yet to find any reed that gives me the resonance and vibration that I get out of Rico Royal 2.5 reeds. The problem that I have is the RR 2.5's dont last, I go through them so fast and only a few out of the box are "Good" reeds. My question is, does anyone have any suggestions of a reed that might sound similar to the Rico Royal but be a little more sturdy?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by luiyo456
    (18 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Reed suggestions for JJ DV 7* Tenor?

Try Vandoren Java Jazz (Green Box) : regarding to 2.5 's lasting, work up practicing with # 3's, will be a litttle hard to get use to it but it will be worth it.

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Reed suggestions for JJ DV 7* Tenor?

When Rico came out with the Rico Jazz reeds the Rico Royal Reeds quality went way down!! I play on Rico Jazz unfiled 2m reeds on my Mark Vl tenor with either a Guardala MBll mouthpiece, or a Guardala King piece, or a Dukoff 8D!! Only about 3 or 4 reeds are good from the box. I have tried other brands of reeds and for me the Ricos work the best. Everybody finds their own favorite and this works for me.....Kelsey
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM