Saxophone Forum

by Jesse23
(2 posts)
14 years ago

Martin C vintage soprano.. worth the overhaul?

Hey all, I came across a vintage 1924 Martin soprano in the key of C for 400. The catch, it needs an overhaul. I have never owned a vintage horn or overhauled a horn. How much do you think an overhaul would cost on this? It seems to be in decent condition (no large dents or scratches). Please let me know what your thoughts are! Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Martin C vintage soprano.. worth the overhaul?

not really, you can most times find one that works for that price.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

14 years ago

If you are already a sax player, already have an Alto and a Tenor, and just want to try something different, the older Martins are great horns. But why do you want to buy a C melody?? I wouldn't pay $400. for any C melody!! I know there are guys out there who think there are advantages in playing a C melody. I am sure they will write some hateful reply to my post. But the C melody, a bad ideal.......................Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Jesse23
    (2 posts)

14 years ago

thanks for the input. Basically, i want a soprano reallllllyyy bad. the c melody is the cheapest thing in my area (I'm in high school and can't afford much). How much would you pay for it? Thanks!

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

14 years ago

a c-mel is virtually unplayable in a band.

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

14 years ago

Offer them $50.00!! I wouldn't pay that, but if you reallllyyy want one bad............You do know that getting one fixed up can be very expensive.... If I were you I'd get a summer job, save like crazy and find a Bb soprano.
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by luiyo456
        (18 posts)

14 years ago

A C- melody soprano is rare and very collectable, not good to play in a school band though, but for a soloist in others scenarios it could be something different, their sound is great if you find the right settings for your self, I own a Conn stencil C melody and it rocks on a blues and jazz, plus you can use it from vocal's written parts and do some adjustments to create great solos without having to transport. This instruments are very flexible, so if you find the right price for the overhaul I would do it, unless you plan to only play in a school band.

Reply To Post